Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bird's Nest Ornament

Looking for some simple gifts to give to your neighbors and friends? Here is a favorite.



You can buy a big package of this Spanish Moss at Michael's Craft for about two dollars, and you can buy the eggs there too. They are found in the same aisle. Break off a good handful of the straw, form it into a nest with your hands by cupping around it and indenting the middle with your thumbs. Use some hot glue to glue about three little eggs to the nest. Then print off the saying, tear the edges and either ink them or burn them. Put it in a clear gift bag (also found at Michael's) and tie with a ribbon. They make great gifts. It will probably cost you under a dollar when you figure out the total cost. Very cool.


Here is what the paper says:


An Old Christmas Legend


Long ago, great happiness and good fortune came to those who chose a


Christmas tree with a bird's nest in it's branches.


Here is a little nest for your Christmas tree. May the legend come true for you.


Give it to your friends and tell them to set the nest amongst the branches of their Christmas tree. It was tradition for my mom to have her nest be the first decoration for the tree. Happy Holidays!

11 comments:

The Girls' Mom said...

This is a cute idea, I've never seen it. Thanks

Jen Sue Wild said...

Vey cute!!

sharon c... that's me said...

i was thinking of that this year, i don't have a nest for my tree

Ajoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Queen of Chaos said...

Your Mother made this for Warren and I one year. It was a really neat gift.

She burned the edges of the paper with the poem on it- and it looks awesome. She used mini- solid colored Christmas ornaments. It's in our tree and one of the most aniticipated ornaments we add.

amys_aromas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cat said...

Thank you for the Birdnest saying. I've been searching for a nice one. I'm making bird nest gifts for an annual gift giving party I attend every year. There are 13 of us that get together. We bring 13 had made gifts, and exchange with each other. It's so fun to go home with 13 hand made things from friends. Have a wonderful holiday season. Thanks again, Cathy, Missouri

Glenda said...

That is lovely!! What a sweet idea! I can't wait to make them for my wonderful friends. Thanks for sharing!!

Blossom said...

I just popped over here from Sew Mama Sew.

What a great idea! I love anything with a bird theme, especially for the Christmas tree.

Amy

Kristin said...

how cute! We actually had a real bird's nest in our tree a couple of years ago. I still have it and it sits on my piano most of the time. :)

Another Piece Of Chocolate said...

This was a tradition in my family and I had forgotten the meaning of the bird's nest in the tree. Your blog entry came up in my Google search. Not only did you supply me with the answer, but our extended family is starting a new tradition this year of making ornaments as the gift exchange. This is Absolutely Perfect!! Thanks so much!