Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Arachnophobia

Defined as an abnormal fear of spiders.

I remember when this movie came out. I was 14 years old, and my family was traveling through Utah. I sat between my older sister Kim and my next younger sister Shavonne in the movie theater. Kim and I were too "cool" to have a little sister hover over us, so we made her sit two chairs down from us. Yes. We were mean. But she got her revenge.

Halfway through the movie, during an intense scene of spiderly prowless, when eyes were glued to the screen, knees were squeezed together and feet were lifted off the floor, Shavonne reached her hand across the back of the seats and flitted her spider-like fingers across my shoulders.


I screamed so loud.


Shavonne laughed so hard.

I suddenly felt like peeing my pants. Maybe I did.


No. I didn't.


Well, maybe just a little bit.


So I remember getting up to go to the bathroom, right after the terrifying "shower and toilet" scene from the movie, and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do: sticking my bum on that toilet seat. I was sure a spider was going to bite me somewhere that would be incredibly embarrassing to have investigated the ambulance driver as hoards of popcorn-bloated audience members casually watched while refilling their supply of Junior Mints.


Ok, so my imagination was vivid, even as a teenager.


Anyway, Check out the movie trailer. It still freaks me out.


On to the reason why I started this post. Around here, as I'm driving around, I am constantly reminded of Arachnophobia because of this:


These huge spiderwebs are everywhere on the trees around here. They are grouped together, covering tree branches and hanging over the side of the road. It's no wonder nobody walks around here. I'd be terrified that whatever inhabits these webs would drop down on unsuspecting little 'ole me and feast on me for 4 and a half days. (why the half? I don't know.)

When I took this picture, I was standing a good distance away, and I put my super duper Cannon Rebel camera up to my eye to look through it and I about jumped out of my skin! My lens was all zoomed in and I totally freaked out being so close to the web of death! So I risked my life to get these pictures for you. Hope you appreciate them.


By the way, if any of you haven't ever seen this movie, PLEASE tell me! I can't imagine anybody missing out on this gem.


18 comments:

Shavonne said...

Those are absolutely disgusting webs! I would be freaked out to see those everywhere.

But, on to my genius plan. Yes, it was me that scared the pee out of Shaina. I was scared watching it so I was probably looking everywhere but the screen, and saw my perfect opportunity. I am still amazed at my brilliant plan when I was only about 10 or so. Genius!

kdaygirl said...

U forgot to mention the tarantuala that they had out in the lobby when we came in. I went out halfway through the movie to make sure that it was still there. It really was freaky to us. my skin was crawling and I imagined that every little tickle was a spider!

shaina said...

I forgot about the spider in the lobby. What a big time theater it must have been to get a star from the movie come out to a li'l podunk town in Utah.

Shavonne said...

Yeah, I was familiar with the lobby, I think I went to the "bathroom" and stayed out there for about half an hour, just to kill time.

Lauren said...

Ewww Yuck Gross!! I hate creepy spiders and thier webs!

Jen said...

EEEKKKK!! Yep, I saw the movie and yep I'm scared to death of spiders. Great story about the movie theater. Too funny!

Chloe said...

That is nasty creepy...

sharon c... that's me said...

holy cow, i'm freaking out just seeinf these webs, they would keep me up at night! SICK!!

Queen of Chaos said...

Yikes! That looks to be right out of a movie alright.

Heath said...

Yeah those things are huge and they look worse in real life. Good job Shavonne, they deserved it...making their little sister sit all alone.

April said...

those are some pretty nasty webs, and I will never ever see the movie. I don't like to make myself scared.

Holmes Home said...

Just trying to make you feel better...If I'm not mistaken, those are bagworms you're seeing and not spiders (hopefully) The worms look somewhat like caterpillars, but there are tons of them in those sacks and they destroy the trees. Not that worms are much better and since I can't investigate, I'm taking a guess at it from your pic. Creepy what things grow in the South, huh?

Karen & Matt said...

That is so gross! I couldn't imagine living by that! Yuck! Anyways saw the movie with my Dad and brothers, and sister. All through the movie they would try to do something to scare us. Punks! I remember me and my sister sharing the same bed, and scratching the whole night because we thought spiders were on us. It was so hard to sit on a toilet and be in a shower for awhile after seeing that movie. I think that's where I really became afraid of spiders!

Gabrielle said...

HOLY COW!

I think I just pee'd a little! :)

The Girls' Mom said...

AHHAHHAHAHAAAHHAAHH!

KJ-Starre said...

Web of death~ bwhahahahahahahah! you've just made me pee in my pants. I am laughing so hard!!!
You write so well, I felt like I was right there with you.

Sorry to say I have never seen the movie...I was a complete scaredy-brooks when it came out! Even now I don't think I'd volunteer to see it...the fear of '4 & a half days' clinched it for me I'm afraid.
X

I'm Always Rite said...

I've seen it, and I think it may be where my own arachnophobia stems from.

Here's a bit of trivia about the flick: When they find the spider dude hanging from the rafters covered in spiders it's not a dummy! The director didn't think a dummy looked real enough so the actor really played that scene and, yes, he really had spiders crawling in and out of his mouth!

Gross!

ronee said...

OMW...we must "run" in the same places...I too noticed this Freaky thing before I left for vaca...how SCARY. I turned the car around..with my three girls in it..and went for a second look!!! YUCKY!
xoxo
ronee