Monday, August 4, 2008

Scrunchie Memory

When I was in 7th grade, everyone who was anyone was wearing scrunchies in their hair. You can't tell, but I had a great scrunchie in my hair in this picture. Yeah. I was cool. But this picture was taken in the 8th grade. In 7th grade, I wasn't so cool.


All my friends had these glamorous scrunchies in their hair. Pink ones;Green ones; Tiger striped and Polkadotted. I was very envious. I didn't have any. I felt like the only kid not wearing those beloved scrunchies. I had tons of hair that would look "so beyond cool" if it was adorned with the perfect scrunchie to go with the perfect oversized sweater and the perfect tapered pants. My life was ruined. I didn't have a scrunchie to save my life.


However, I was a creative little girl, even back when I was 12 years old. I spent some time at school scrutinizing the makings of a scrunchie. I looked at everyone's hair. It couldn't be too hard to fashion one of those treasures, I thought. At home, we had this laundry basket that was filled with unmatched socks. A whole big basket of them. That could completely be another post for another day, but suffice it to say, I had a whole basket of potential scrunchies right in front of me.



I took a sturdy sock and very sneakily, cut about 3/4 of an inch off the top of the crew cut. I threw the sock away, knowing nobody would miss it, and I was left with a beloved scrunchie. Life couldn't get better. Now I could walk down the halls at school with my head held high; my head that was adorned with my super-scrunchie. I energetically made about twelve of these scrunchies, discarding the useless sock remains. I was all set.



The next day at school during typing class, my scrunchie-induced happiness came to a screeching halt. My friend was saying something about her new "fabulous scrunchie" and I whipped my braid around and said "Oh, I have one too!" She took one look at me and said "What is that in your hair? A sock?"


I was mortified.


"What? No. That's so lame!" I faltered. I turned right around, pulled my sock-tied braid over my shoulder, and pretended to continue typing while trying to fight the tears that were ballooning around my eyes.



I'm pretty sure it took a very long time to live down the "sock scrunchie", but I survived. In fact, I learned how to make a proper scrunchie with material sewed into a long tube, elastic running through it, and the two ends sewed together to form a circle. They weren't the most popular-looking scrunchies, but at least they weren't mistaken for a sock anymore.


In the picture at the beginning of the post, I was a recovered sock-scrunchie-wearing Survivor. I was wearing a homemade scrunchie. I had a reason to smile.

12 comments:

Sharon Carpenter said...

i was thinking the same thig... you're gonna put a sock in your hair? but i must say you were very creative.... you should do a post on "the sock basket" mom was still trying to get us to match socks from your day....

Heath said...

Oh man I wish you still had one of them so that we could show the kids when they get older and have similar experiences. Then you could show them the scrunchie and tell them the story and know they were not the only ones to endure such a life event. I had similar experiences wearing rustler jeans and pocket tees from Kmart that were bought for me to ware to school and sweat suits that were all one color and not good colors either (mustard yellow and light blue what boy wants to ware that)that I was unsuccessfully persuaded to ware as a matching set. Oh well we got through it and are tougher for it right.

Ande said...

I figured that if anyone can pull off a sock in the hair it would be you. :) I made my own scrunchies as well. When my mom would make me a jumper, we would make one to match. --I love your random stories, they make me laugh.

kdaygirl said...

I think that we made some scrunchies together at one point. I have pictures of Michelle Branson with like 5 scrunchies in her hair at a time. We were out of control....

Chloe said...

Middle school is so painful. I'm sorry that you have your war stories :) I wouldn't have made fun of you :)

Shavonne said...

You used a sock?! Haha, that IS a funny story. You were the reason none of the socks matched! Poor thing. I had a girl that tried to pull off her sandals as Birkenstocks. She said the label fell off, though they are branded into the leather. I couldnt' blame her, becuse I really wanted a pair myself...

Karen & Matt said...

That is too funny! Very creative though! =)

KJ-Starre said...

I love this story, it is so real....& I can feel the pain you must have felt....Kids can be so hurtful. But hey you survived...overcame & worked how to make a real one. I worked it out too at about 15 (flip they were tricky with that inside out thing)

Heehee! to SSWS...I wonder if there is room on facebook for another group???
Have a great day & a big hug from another 80's survivor.
KJ

Elise said...

Oh how sad!! Just mean girls in middle school! To make you feel better, my mom made me a pair of knickers (yes, when they were in) out of tablecloth material and everyone noticed. So mortifying and so that is when I started to hang out with the new wave crew!

Marfa said...

I took rubberbands and bought fabric at Ben Franklins and made my own, too! I felt very cool...I also love your puffy bangs, I remember trying to get volume in my hair!

Jenni said...

Shaina--wow, bring back the 80's girl! hahah
ANd by the way, the person I talked about on my blog was Brenda Johnsen.

I'm Always Rite said...

In junior high I used to wear this black lace head band and one day someone asked why I had panties on my head. I don't think I wore it again. :\