Monday, August 24, 2009

Blasted Skylights!

We have two skylights in our bedroom. These skylights have bugged us since day 1. We don't like them. We don't need them. We don't want them. However, we just can't change the architecture of the ceiling, so we've lived with them.

We've lived with them waking us up at 5am, with the early morning sunlight coming through. We've lived with them shining sunlight directly on our bed (with no other place to position the bed) all day long. This is especially annoying on days I want to take a nap. I feel like I have rectangular spotlights directly across me. We've also lived with these darn skylights making our bedroom a greenhouse. It is really a sauna in our room.

We've lived with these skylights disturbing our peace for so long because we figured we were moving, and it didn't matter that much. Well, we are not moving, and yesterday was the LAST STRAW! It was over a hundred degrees outside yesterday, but that was nice and balmy compared to the temperature in our bedroom. (and Heath and I weren't even in there to sizzle things up some more!) We couldn't stand to be in our room. I declared to do something about the blasted skylights. TODAY!


So I went to the store, thinking that I would buy some material and make some easy curtains for the skylights, but after bumping into an old friend, I was told that I should just get premade thermal curtain panels. These panels would not only block out the sunlight, they would block out the heat! Perfect. So I bought two panels, shortened each one a little bit, re-sewed a hem so I could get the tension rods through there, and PRESTO!! Covered skylights.

Sweet darkness. I might just get a nap today.

7 comments:

runningfan said...

quite ingenious! happy napping!

Me and My Girls said...

How annoying, but glad that you were able toget it fixed.Enjoy sleeping past 5 am.

Dan and Katie said...

we have 2 sky lights also, just not in our bedroom, but the heat they let in is ridiculous! Hope you are able to take long naps now! Well at least the 2 hours when Georgie is at pre-school :)

Ande said...

that would be very annoying. Who puts skylights in a bedroom. Weird. :) Good idea to put those up there, hope that they work for you and your room stays nice and cool.

Elise said...

Great solution!! I have to say that skylights in the bedroom are a little weird. It's a bedroom for pete's sake and who doesn't want it to be dark in a bedroom. Hope you got a nap today.

purejoy said...

oh where have i been that i missed a post about naps and homework?
curtains look delicious, dahling. and i'll maybe grab a nap in your honor today.
i agree with ande. who puts skylights in a bedroom anyway!!?
i think that fad went out with the 80s.
love the solution and wish you pleasant dreams.

annie said...

such a unique idea...