Thursday, March 17, 2011

Going To The Dentist

I've never been a huge fan of going to the Dentist, which I find ironic since many of my girlfriend's husbands are dentists.  But growing up, I didn't really go that often.  Maybe it was the fact that I had many other siblings who required braces, and since my teeth were straight, I was overlooked.  Whatever the case may be, it wasn't until I was done with high school, that my visits with the dentist began.

I haven't always had the most gentle hands work on my mouth/teeth, so my reproach might stem from that.  During my wisdom teeth removal, I wasn't completely numb, and when I told my dentist this, he dismissed the ludicrous idea, and kept on working, as tears of pain rolled down my cheeks.  It wasn't until I was in California, when The Husband was in the military, that I found a dentist that I liked, and that was gentle enough, and who over-numbed me, just to make sure I wouldn't feel anything (and I didn't, with numbness lasting 18 hours, but I'm not complaining).

So after we got out of the military, and moved a few times...well, we needed to find another dentist.  Although we've had coverage these past few years, none of us have gone to the dentist.  (My friend's who are dentist wives can please ignore the last sentence.)

Today I took four of my kids to see the dentist (Mr. Kimble won't go until he is 2).  It was an early morning visit, made earlier by the fact that we had to drop off our girl kitty at the Vet to get spayed beforehand....another blog post for another day...and so we settled in for a few hours at the dentist, with my children definitely looking like I woke them up hours earlier than they would have normally...which is true.




Kamy walked away with praises, and zero cavities, but the same can't be said for Keaton, Kolby, and Georgie (whom we called Kennedy the whole time because that is her real name, and what her medical records were listed as, and it felt so weird to call her that, but the Dentist goes by what is on the paper, and not what her crazy nickname is).  All three of them have multiple cavities, located between their molars, because I don't floss their teeth.

Are there parents out there who really floss their kids' teeth (besides the Dentist families as previously mentioned).  I mean, really? Am I the only non-flossing parent out there?

Well, looking at the $300 + medical bill that was outlined for me, to get all of the kids' teeth up to par, might just persuade me to change my constant "brush and wash!" to "brush, floss, and wash", with me managing the floss part of it.

We made multiple appointments for next week, to begin work on the fillings, but which will require more visits, and I have an appointment of my own.  I'm already starting to hyperventilate.  I seriously have panic attacks whenever I go to the dentist.  Heaven help me.

12 comments:

ladybug said...

I'm in the same boat with my 2 - I had them start using the plastic flossers - and they're doing it on their own, and doing quite well with it! They cost about $3 for 150 at Target here - well worth trying! Good luck to ya!

runningfan said...

I second the motion for stick flossers! They are the best, even for adults! We aren't religious flossers here, either. But I've seen a sign that says, "Only floss the teeth you want to keep."

The Girls' Mom said...

Did Dr Casey pull your wisdom teeth? He loved to try to do work on my teeth with out numbing them first.
I dont really care for the stick flossers, I think the break to easily and the fun of using them wears off. My kids that actually have molars that are permanent can floss on their own and I just remind them. I find it really just to be one more thing I don't have time to do. I dread getting the lecture I get at the dentist, it also included that I follow them around making sure their lips are properly moisturized at all times so the don't catch a cold???? So I sympathize. My parent never flossed me and I lived and didn't have a cavity until I was 16. Also everyone is different, one kid has great teeth the other has terrible teeth. Okay Ill stop rambling now :)

amy said...

i was going to third the option of flossers I buy mine at the dollar store. . .and I make them bring them to me and I floss, most commonly while I'm at the computer, or folding laundry. So it is they brush wash and I floss, and inspect the mouth.

amy said...

oh and i loath the dentist also. . . like seriously with a passion.

kdaygirl said...

My kids like the flossers and my dentist acctually showed me how to properly hold the childs head so you could floss their teeth for them until they were old enough to do it on their own. I only "help" addi do his teath but he does the majority of it on his own.

The nice thing about cavities and having to get them filled is reminding the kids what they had to go through to get their teeth fixed and if they dont brush and floss they will have to go through that all over again, and so far in our family, we have had no more cavities!

DougandSheilah said...

We don't floss much here either and it shows at times on their teeth. Our dentist said to try for twice a week, but even though it is on the schedual it gets skipped. Good luck!

Maynards said...

You are so brave to take all of your kids at once!
Ironically, Ben went to the dentist today, and Mary and I go in a few weeks. It must be dentist month.

Shannon said...

Flossers, flossers, flossers! I'm a total convert to those things--they are awesome and make flossing SOOOO much easier.

Jennifer Magreevy said...

I'm a horrible flosser of my OWN teeth, so it hadn't even crossed my mind to floss my son's teeth. He's 2.5, and we haven't been to the dentist yet, but he doesn't even have two of his 2-year molars yet (and has been cutting the other two for about 4 or 5 months now!). Guess I have to start thinking about flossing for him...but seeing as how getting a doggone toothbrush in his mouth is a pain in the toosh, I'm slightly apprehensive about sticking floss in there too. :-/

mamaduck said...

I could have written this myself! Our two oldest boys are the worst when it comes to teeth, too. Both have had pulpectomies. Madelyn walks out with no cavities and eats candy. The boys eat air and need teeth filled.

Julie said...

I hate the dentist too. And, I don't make my kids floss, so I'm probably in for it when I finally schedule dentist appointments for them. Your post is motivating me to start flossing though....