Thursday, February 6, 2014

Huckleberry Blossom: Hospital Pajamas!

I am so excited to announce that I am now selling Hospital Pajamas!  Some of you may remember THIS POST from about 18 months ago, where my sister and I made sets of pajamas for Mr. Kimble, to wear during his recovery time for his next open heart surgery.

Since then, I have received many comments, and many emails, asking me if I had these in my shop yet; if they were available for purchase; if I had finalized all of the sizing so I could offer them.  Now, the answer is yes!!

About a month ago, my sister Sharon called me and told me she was going to spend a week at my house at the end of January and we would get all the sizing done for the hospital pajamas.  We would make a bunch of sets together, and then list them on Etsy, and that is exactly what we did!
 
In turn, we opened up a new shop on Etsy called Huckleberry Blossom.  We currently have sizes available from 2T to size 7 in childrens.  Within the next month, we'll have sizing done for newborn to 2T, and will list those pajama sets as they become available. Here is a blurb from our "About Us" page, that explains our story and purpose with the hospital pajamas.

My whole world changed in a moment when, during my routine 20 week ultrasound, I was told that my child had complex congenital heart defects, and IF he survived after birth, we would be facing a long and difficult road filled with hospital stays and surgeries.

After many open heart surgeries, and many experiences of living in the hospital for a time, I thought about how I could make the hospital life be as comfortable as possible for my little heart patient.

My sister and I worked together to create hospital pajamas that are intended for those children who need to make the hospital their home for a little while. These pajamas provide modesty, comfort, and joy for the patient. They allow access for the doctors and nurses, while still providing warmth and cover during recovery. They are inspired by our real life. We saw a need, and this is our solution.

All proceeds help benefit our little heart patient, who wears his special pajamas when life demands frequent and heartbreaking hospitalizations.


Here is some info about the pajamas and why they are special.

 These pajamas were first developed for our little heart patient, and we soon discovered (upon talking to other 'hospital moms') that the pajamas would work for all types of patients. Therefore, we created a pattern that would be beneficial for all children who require longer hospital stays and who prefer more comfort and modest attire than what the standard issue hospital gowns provide.

The robe opens in the front and folds close with a tie sash. This front opening provides easy access to the body while still maintaining modesty, comfort, and warmth. The sleeves are wide enough for bulky IVs, arm braces, blood pressure cuffs, and other necessary equipment. The long robe also hides cords and wires that little hands might want to pull and play with, allowing the connection wires to be kept 'out of sight out of mind'.

The jammie bottoms are equally roomy and comfy. They have an elastic waist to easily slip on and off. They also have wide pant legs for the same reasons as we have the wide sleeves.

Once the child is mobile, the child can freely move about the hospital while staying modest and warm, without the drafty backs that the hospital gowns offer! Little buns are cute, but not for public display!

These hospital jammies can be worn as a set, or individually, as needed. Cute prints make it fun for the child, and bring a sense of comfort from home during their time in the hospital. Even better, this pajama set is so cute and comfy, that it can continue to be worn as regular pajamas at home.

Here are some pictures we have taken of some cute kids (including Kimble!) modeling our pajama sets.






Please feel free to 'like' our Facebook Page Huckleberry Blossom, and check out our Etsy store for current listings.  We know that these hospital pajamas are near and dear to our heart, and we hope that they can offer some comfort to those who wear them.  Please share this info with those you know who may be in a similar situation.

I know that this endeavor won't make me rich.  This isn't the point. I'm not out to make money with this. It takes a lot of fabric and a lot of time to make these sets, but it is something that is very special for me.  From my standpoint, as a heart mom, I know what it is like to watch my child have life and death moments.  I know what it is like to see them come out of anesthesia and cry in pain and lack of understanding.  I know what it's like to sit next to their bed and want to trade places with them.  I know what's it's like to want to offer all the comfort that you can during their time of recovery.  This is my way to offer my love and understanding, straight  from my heart, and straight from the broken heart of my sweet baby boy.  Thanks for all of the support and love we have received from all of you over the years.

3 comments:

Jude said...

Those are so cute; and such a good idea. I wish you every success with them. Jude.x

Colleen said...

I think this is a wonderful idea! And the jammies are so dang cute too. :)

Stacey said...

Those are the most adorable hospital pjs I have ever seen!!! You are so talented!