Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Raccoon tails, creamy soup, and buttons, oh my!

Hi'ya! I have a few random things to share today. First, the kids and I went to the bank yesterday (it's a big deal with 4 kiddos) and when I was driving, my oldest says "Mom, that thing in your hair looks like you have a raccoon tail." Gee thanks, Kamy. So I had her take a picture of my racccoon tail to show you. Incidentally, raccoon can be spelled two ways correctly: racoon and raccoon. Interesting, eh? (I opt for the double c version)
The next thing I have for you is an extremely desirable soup for you to make. My sister-in-law gave me this recipe and I cannot stop making it. We made it for some friends on Sunday, I made it the week before, I brought over a big pot of it to a friend who needed some TLC and the list goes on and on. I had some for leftovers today and I took a picture of it. Make it. It freezes perfectly and re-heats to perfection.

Creamy Wild Rice Soup


7 cups chicken broth
2 boxes Uncle Ben's Wild Rice
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 onion, chopped
2 cups cooked chicken
1/4 cup crumbled bacon
1 stick of butter
3/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half

Combine chicken broth, rice and seasoning mix and chopped onion. Bring to boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 35 mintues. Meanwhile, chop up your green onions and shred or chop your chicken. When rice is done simmering, in a separate pot, melt your butter, stir in your flour, and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Add in your milk and cook (stirring!) until thick and bubbly. Add to your rice mixture. Add your chicken, bacon, and green onions. I then taste it and season with pepper and salt if necessary. Bring up to temperature but do not boil. Add additional chicken stock if it is too thick. Enjoy!

The next thing I have to show you are the goodies I got from my scrapbook night I went to last weekend. A lady from church owns this scrapbook store and she offers it once a month for people to come and work on projects, socialize, and eat sweets. Sounds good, huh. So here is what I got free for having a filled-out punch card. I did a lot of cutting out, of the different patterns, and made this layout of my cute little George. My baby. My girl. Her name is Kennedy but we call her George. Anyhow, here is the layout.



















7 comments:

Jenni said...

Love how the LO turned out!!! Those chickens are just the cutest things ever!!! And awesome flower! Ok, that soup looks so good--I'm gonna go scour my pantry to see if I have everything to make it--YUMMMM!!!

Whippet said...

Shaina: Love your new stuff and the cute layout you did. That soup looks yummy!:-)

Jonas said...

Shaina- Yummm! Yours looks different then mels but still really good. I am making it tomorow! Way cute layout, for sure, I love the flower and the chickens. So creative. I have the looks of a raccoon tail too, in a different color. That is funny she said that and she did a good job taking your picture:)

Jonas said...

This is Rebekah not Jonas by the way.

Brenda said...

Great blog, Shaina! I love that layout!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Hey Shaina,
Took me a while to while to set up an account so that I could comment. Your blog looks great and i always love your recipe and your scrapbook work. Thanks for sharing

Queen of Chaos said...

The soup looks so good. i will definetly make some soon. Thanks for the recipe Shaina!

I really like your page you created of George. Super cute! And I LOVE the title "Ranch Girl". I have a picture of Tucker on a little tractor too...I think I may snag that title! {if that's ok ;)

I have ridden a tandon bike once. It really is bizarre! Two definetly have to work together.

Until next time...

The Queen of Chaos