Friday, September 7, 2007

"That was neat"

That was what the Ultrasound Tech said after a very prolonged and tortuous pelvic ultrasound and, dare I say it, (transvaginal) ultrasound. Let me back up a little bit to tell you the whole story.
In June, my IUD decided to play peek-a-boo so I was sent in to have an ultrasound to find it. Radiology couldn't get me in right away, so about a month later, I had the ultrasound and they discovered that it was just fine. However, upon some investigation, it was discovered that I had a cyst on my left ovary. Come back in six weeks to see if it resolves. No biggie. I'm a radiology transcriptionist (in my spare time!) and I see these reports all the time. They almost always resolve on their own.
So fast forward six weeks. Today. I went in for a followup.
The nice male tech did the pelvic ultrasound just under my belly button. That was just fine except for the feeling that I was going to wet myself because my bladder had to be screaming full for the examination. Then we move onto the second part of the examination...from the inside. Delightful.
Now, the first 10 minutes were bearable. If feels like you are cramping and uncomfortable. I can handle it.
Then he kept going.
My insides were pushed, throbbed, rubbed, tweaked, pulled, maneuvered, shoved, and flipped around for the next 15 minutes and I thought I would scream with relief when he finally said, oh so casually, (as only a male could, who doesn't really understand what he just did to me) said, "Alright. I'm done". I am a silent sufferer. I didn't make a noise. That's how I am when I have babies too. But I tell ya what, I should have gotten a baby out of this for all the pain that was involved. I am not going to be a competent wife for a few days, that's for sure.
So, he goes to check with the doc to make sure there are no more images to be had, and I lay still and recuperate.
He comes back in with another tech. She needs to gather more information, only thankfully, the images are taken from on top of my pelvis, instead of inside. Bless you.
As they are questioning what they are seeing, I started asking them questions.
"I hope you found something good in there for all the probing around you did."
Turns out, my cyst on my left side had gone down. Good news.
However, (bad news) a new cyst on my right ovary had developed in the interim and was GIGANTIC. My male tech had measured, probed, poked, and such for a while, and when he went back at the end of the exam to check again, IT WAS NOT THERE. All that was left was a bunch of "free fluid".
THE MALE TECH HAD RUPTURED MY CYST.
"Good news", the lady tech says happily "The cyst has resolved and you don't need to come back for a followup! We're done!"
Her and the male tech converse for a few minutes in puzzlement and amazement and she turns to me and says "We've never seen that happen before. That was neat".
"Glad I could help" I reply dryly.
After another quick check with the doc, my male tech comes back in the room, tells me I'm done and thanks me.
"It was my pleasure", I reply.

12 comments:

Marfa said...

Yikes...that sure doesn't sound like fun. So is the IUD still inside? I've heard some horror stories about those (my sister-in-law can't have any more children now)...

shaina said...

IUD is just fine. No worries about that, although some women do have a problem with it migrating.

Queen of Chaos said...

Sounds like you've had a wonderful day! And thanks to the water cooler down the hall that gathers multiple ultrasound techs for sure...you now have given the latest topic of discussion that will most likely carry on for at least the next 6 months. I'm glad you came out ok...but I do agree: you should have got a cute one from heaven out of the deal!
Can I say it for you? OUCH!!!!

Jen Sue Wild said...

I told him to torture you because so were teasing me about going to Ross and shopping for your self. Revenge is sweet. LOL

All kidding aside I am so glad that every thing is OK. I am very sorry that you were in such pain.
I am also sorry for Heath;0)LOL

Oh I will take you up on the shopping for me at Ross I will make it a challenge for you. I'll e-mail you later with the Details.

I am very touched that the girls were the bracelets that I made them . You know Kennedy will always have a special place in my heart.
I love all you and miss you so much.

sharon c... that's me said...

oh na i think i had every emotion come out of me while i was reading this, i laughed... cried... i was even a little scared! i'm glad you're ok, i just love you!

Jenni said...

holy crap!!! What on earth? That's incredible! I looked for ya in the x-ray area but didn't see ya--we were running late. I saw your kids when I dropped mine off. Glad things are all ok!!!

Preemie Mom said...

OMG you've got to be kidding me--I have had those internal ultrasounds and they suck, but to think that the tech actually ruptured the cyst--Unbelievable.

sharon c... that's me said...

you know what i think? you didn't know you could comment on yourself until i did it, and now that you have found it out, you're going hog wild!

Elise said...

DOn't you just love bedside manners sometimes! After about a trillion ultrasounds, I have to say that I have never had one so violent as yours. I can only imagine the pain. But glad to know you are ok!

chloe said...

Oh Shaina, that's horrible...internal ultrasounds are NEVER fun, but must be awful when you have a cyst in there!

dippyrooroo said...

What an awful experience! No more suffering in silence, Shaina! You've gotta yell!

Liz said...

poor you! when ever I have one rupture it is a pain for days!!!!!

nice of you to allow your overies to be used for the good of "cool" science. men will never know!!!!