Monday, November 26, 2007

Memories

This weekend I got the de-clutter itch, so I dragged Heath along and we cleaned out the storage closet we have outside our new tiny house the military has us in. When we moved, so much of our stuff didn't fit, so we just shoved it in that closet. Well, it was time to clean it out.


We did great. I went through some totes that I hadn't looked through in about 7 years. Heath found his old mission photos, which he got great joy out of telling me about each picture, when all I wanted to do was move on to the next tote. But he did tell me that I should make a scrapbook out of those pictures. (Uh, like I haven't been trying to do that for years and you were never interested??)


But I did find a little sumthin' sumthin' that triggered my memory as well. Brace yourselves...this could be shocking.





So this little jewel came from my older sister. (So many of my posts are about her. Hmm, maybe I should try therapy....Naah. That's what a blog is for. She should try one too!) She gave me this book soon after she acquired status of MRS herself. She and her husband found this in a thrift store, and anxiously presented it to me. They even dedicated it to me, on the inside cover. It reads: To Shaina, our beloved sister, who we have hope for. Someday, Shaina, Someday. :) Then she signed it with not only her first name, but her new married last name, with all the glory she could muster. Oh, and her husband signed it too, just to add the effect that they are married, and I am not.

Now, I admit. When I was in college, all I wanted to do was get married. From the time I was little, I just wanted a husband and kids. Still, it's my passion, being a mom and wife. I love it. Anyway, I really wanted to find the right guy, but it was really hard because I hardly dated in college. I was great friends with amazing guys, but it just wasn't right to date them.

So my sister decided to rub it in. Let me tell you about the book. Here is what is written on the inside cover:

Dividing her plan into three easy-to-follow steps, bestselling author Wendy Stehling outlines a surefire method to catch a man. From dating to dressing, from dining to decor, Wendy spells out the new rules in today's confusing nuptial game. Included are quizzes to help the reader chart her progress; discussions of such common mistakes as wearing too-red nail polish, and ordering vodka when sherry is due; and a schedule of activities that will make catching a man easier than you ever thought possible. So get ready...get set...get married!

Sounds great, huh! But there is a problem, according to the book, the 3rd date is when I should be ready to hop in the sack with him. According to the book, men won't marry a woman until she has proven herself..in the bedroom.

So suffice it to say, I didn't take the advise of the book. It was all fun. I thought I had lost the book, but I found it! I showed it to my husband, and he was quite interested in reading it. "Save yourself the trouble babe. You've already got me."

6 comments:

Jen Sue Wild said...

LOL Shaina How funny that she gave you that silly book...
You gotta love big sisters...

kdaygirl said...

Hey is must have worked because U got married soon after. And Jason was the one who found it and said hey lets give this to Shaina and of course I was all for it. I hope u realize that is was a joke and not something to really go from. Wow the power I have over u is amazing, make me some cookies assistant!

Queen of Chaos said...

That was a funny joke :0

Maybe you can re-gift it to Kamy when she's old enough...but only after you rip out "By the third date" chapter. hehe

Karen & Matt said...

That is so funny! Hey what are big sisters for right... =)

sharon c... that's me said...

this is funny!! it sounds like one of those books that would be fun to read at like 1:30 am with your roomies:) de-cluttering is good, i need to do some myself

The Girls' Mom said...

I have the same itch- to declutter, not marry again. I don't think I will find such a gem though.