Friday, November 16, 2007

Would you move to Hawaii?

I know we all want to vacation there. We just did. But if the opportunity presented itself, would you want to live there? That was the decision Heath and I faced yesterday.
At the beginning of the week, Heath had applied online for a job in Hawaii, and the next day, he got a call from the company. They set up a phone interview for the following day and were anxious to talk to Heath about his work experience.

So this made us think...wow. Do we really want to move to Hawaii. We weren't sure. It is really expensive to live there (very comparable to the surrounding cities here in California) and we have always said that we want to move to a place where a good paycheck really means a good paycheck. Cost of living is important to us. But it's Hawaii for goodness sake!

Anyway, the question was answered for us when the interviewer offered Heath a salary that would be great for a single man living there, but not for a family of six. So we declined and are happy that it wasn't a tempting offer. We think we'd like to visit there again, but not live. Besides, my hair would be wacky frizzy everyday. I just don't think I can take that kind of pressure.

8 comments:

sharon c... that's me said...

i think its too far away, come to idaho- it's almost like a tropical escape (except for the snow, ice, wind, cold...) you could make it work:)

Jenni said...

I don't think I could live there...or want to really. It's fabulous to visit, but it's SO FAR AWAY FROM EVERYTHING! Hang in there---the right offer is on it's way!

Elise said...

Alan and I have talked about this. I think I could live there without kids but from what I have heard it is hard for "mainlanders" to fit in, especially for kids. That would be a big deterrent for me. Plus I hear that the schools are not great and that traffic is terrible in Oahu.

Did have friends in the military that lived there and on base and loved it. So just depends.

Jen Sue Wild said...

I lived there as preteen I loved it it was very magical for me and my younger siblings but we lived on base and went to military schools. My sister on the other hand was in high school and it was very hard on her with the local children. The had a day at school that was called kill Halli day..
(hallie the hawaiian word for white.) that was the day when they beat up all the white kids in school.
I loved it there as a child but i would never want to raise my children there.

kdaygirl said...

I remeber when I was small and living on the "big island" as we so fondly called it and climbing those big coconut trees. It was so much fun for me as a 3 month old but it was expensive for me and so I made the decision to move with my parents to kansass so that they could have my best friend it was the best decision of my life.

shaina said...

Kim...back then, I guess they called the wrong island the "big island". They must have changed it after your big decision to move inland and gain a sister.
I'm so lucky to be related to you!

sharon c... that's me said...

i love you shaina!!
....oooO...............
.....(....)................
......)../....Oooo.....
.....(_/.....(...)........
..............(_/.........
...........................
......oooO...............
.....(....)................
......)../....Oooo.....
.....(_/.....(....).......
...............)../........
..............(_/.........
...........................
......oooO...............
.....(....)................
......)../....Oooo.....
.....(_/.....(....).......
...............)../........
..............(_/.........
...........................

Ryan said...

WOW! I didn't realize that was in the works! I think it's so great that you guys are getting so many leads and I'm sure it will all work out. . .Maybe Provo-there's an extra bedroom at my inlaws:)