Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Golden Gate Bridge




The Golden Gate bridge was finished in 1937 ahead of schedule and under budget and spans 1.7 miles. The toll was 50 cents one way. Now, there is only the southbound toll at 5 bucks per car. It is named the Golden Gate not for it's color, but for the strait that the bridge spans. It is painted an orange vermillian color, and is updated continuously. It is the 7th longest bridge in the world, but when it was built, it was THE longest in the world. There are 80,000 miles of wire in the two main cables, and it took over six months to spin
them.


We had the pleasure of walking across it yesterday. It was a gorgeous day with hardly any wind, and NO FOG! Here we are, standing on the south side of the bridge. The kids made it halway across before they wanted to go back. Since we told ourselves we would be "easygoing" yesterday, we stopped and turned around. No biggie.

Down the road, we saw some bodiless statues. The upright head kind of reminds me of my Brother-in-law Jason)
Hee Hee.

I'll have to do another post about the rest of our day. Blogger is being REALLY slow with uploading pictures. I've got to get the family ready for church.
Overall, we had a really lovely day.

6 comments:

Jen Sue Wild said...

Looks like you had a Blast. Like I said before I totally miss San fran...

sharon c... that's me said...

Fun! those statues do remind me of Jason, he's a weirdo

sharon c... that's me said...

we were going over to courney's house for the girls' birthday party

Queen of Chaos said...

Of all the places I've been in the world- you'd think I'd been to San Franciso and the Golden Gate Bridge. Nope. Surprise, surprise.

What a fun thing to do as a family! And I love the pictures, too.

Also...I'm very impressed you had such a productive day on Friday!!! I love those days.

Karen & Matt said...

Good for you guys! I wish we would have done that before we left Cali. Matt just wasn't up for it. I'm glad you had fun, and I love the pictures!

I'm Always Rite said...

What a great post! We only made it halfway across when we made our attempt. Simon was asleep in his stroller, but Neina was a trooper. I am so happy to see a pic of you and Heath. :) Glad you got to walk the bridge before you leave.