Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"It's kinda...yummy"

I just wanted to share some recipes with you that we have made recently. Last night, I made soup and rolls. I tried a new recipe from the Coconut and Lime blog. I love that site. I've found some very yummy recipes. Last night we had the Winter White Cauliflower Soup. I didn't tell the kids what kind of soup I made. I just served them. I didn't even tell Heath. After Heath finished, I asked him how he liked the soup. He said "I always love your potato chowder". Fooled him. It was totally cauliflower. Kolby took a tentative taste (he's rather picky now) and said "It's kinda...yummy!" So all the kids had seconds, including George. I added bacon to the soup, but that was the only change I made to that recipe.

Next, I made this Apple Crisp recipe from the Food Network. The Barefoot Contessa always has great food. I can't always get the ingredients she has, but I know it will taste good. I used whatever pears and apples the grocery store had. But MY GOODNESS! This was by far, the BEST apple crisp I'd ever had. Such good citrus flavor hinted through, with using the lemon and orange zest. Wow. Try it! So So So good! And the topping??? It totally can be the best oatmeal cookie dough you've every had. Wow. Try to keep from eating it when you make it. I dare you.

A few days ago, I made these Chicken Empanadas that Paula Dean from Food Network has made. These freeze nicely, so I made them up a week or so ago and froze them. When I am ready to cook them, I leave them out for an hour or two, then I just place them on a cookie sheet and bake them at 350 for about 25 minutes. Perfection! We serve them with spanish rice and some fresh fruit. Oh, and I substitue green chilies for jalepenos. Just our preference. Also, buy two pie crusts. You'll still probably have filling left over. Or maybe it's because I never measure. Either way, these are a great tasting quick meal, especially if you freeze them ahead of time. Enjoy your dinner!

5 comments:

Jen Sue Wild said...

I love coconut lime I have been a fan for a year Have you made her Porgies yet? They are super yummy!!!

BrittanyLane said...

Thanks for the great ideas! I'm always looking for something new to feed my picky family.

Queen of Chaos said...

You're such the cook, Shaina! It's neat that you're willing to try new recipes and such. Your family must be brave- I have picky, picky eaters. It isn't fun at our home trying to get our kids {half the time in tears} to eat their veggies! grrrrr

dippyrooroo said...

Cool ideas! I tried your bread sticks tonight and they were so good, but I don't think I have the technique quite right. They were a little heavy, especially after they cooled. I think I probably over kneaded, or kneaded in too much flour? I told James I'm going to be making them a lot until I can get them just perfect! I think that's the trick to breads, is just doing them till you see for yourself what works.

Karen & Matt said...

You're so awesome shaina! All of those recipes sound super yummy!