Friday, April 4, 2008

7 Habits of a Highly Successful Blogger

What do you think they are? I'm not going to make a list. I have just been thinking lately about why I have my blog. I started it so I could have a fun journal of our family activities to perserve. I just have never really been successful at writing in a journal. Plus, I love to include pictures and stuff, so it seemed the easiest way in this day and age of computers. I also wanted to have an easy way to update friends and family on what's been going on with us. It is much easier than sending out an email to 40 people every week. And though I hadn't anticipated this when I started, I really really love getting comments back from everyone! I love seeing how many people visit my blog, and where they come from, and if they come back to read some more! I also love putting my recipes up to share. I think a good recipe is a treasure!

As much as I love getting comments, I love reading other people's blogs and leaving them comments. I figure if I like something, like a comment, then other people like them too! So if I know you from a message board, or friends I know, or my family, I leave comments. I do have some blogs that I read that I usually don't leave a comment. Those blogs are from people like Creating Keepsakes Designers or whatnot.

So what is your style? What makes you leave a comment one day, and then just be an onlooker-lurker another day? If you've never left a comment on my blog before, would you leave me one today? I'd really like to know where the 70+ visitors everyday are coming from.

If you normally leave me a comment, thank you so much, and don't stop!! It really makes my day. It's like getting mail everyday and I love that. Tell me what you like about this blog. Do you want more recipes? Less jibber-jabber and more pictures? I aim to please. On Sunday, I'll pick 4 random comments to get a pretty bracelet.

16 comments:

Ande said...

I love your blog. It is fun to see what is going on and all of the pictures of the kids. Plus I love the recipes since we are all missing your yummy cooking out here in CA.

Amy said...

Your blog is inspiring. I can only dream of having a blog like yours. I am starting one, but it's taking time to get it just right. Don't have pictures on it yet and I have only posred once. It will get there eventually. Wish you were here to help me!!

The Girls' Mom said...

I started blogging for the same reason as you- a fun journal. It has now become a place that keeps me in touch with people I love very much and almsot never see.
Your blog is a way for me to get to know the you that is now compared to the you from 5, 10 and 16 years ago. I get to feel apart of your daily life. It is sooo much easier than emailing for me.
I agree when you say that recipes are a treasure. I have already added some of your jewels to my treasure box. I love how you have them easily accessed on the sidebar.
As for 7 habits well I think that two are actually doing it ;) and being real and vunerable in what you post. Sometimes I think of post and get scared to put them up that it might be too much to offer.
Anyway I enjoy your blog and look forwad to checking it out 2-3 times a day for years to come. Love YA!!

I'm Always Rite said...

Your blog is the first one I check everyday after I check mine for comments and my best friend, Taelor's, for a new post, alas dissappointment. I love all the cute stories about your family. I'm a total picture junkie, thus all the photos in my various posts. And, of course, I totally dig your ultra groovy give aways! :) I'm not cooking much right now, but when I have my own kitchen again I may wear out your recipe list. Plus also, I know how much I love seeing new comments on my posts so I try to be as generous as possible wtih my own comments. :) I just love ya Shaina and I love that I'm able to keep up with you even though we don't get to talk on the phone every time I go to Ross. ;) No bracelet necessary. :)

Queen of Chaos said...

I started blogging years ago with differnt sites besides 'Blogger' but I like this site the best. I do it simply because I want to share with people I care about on what's new with my family and what makes me tick. Since nobody lives by us then this is a great way to keep in touch.

Also, I've made SO many new friends blogging! I keep a seperate blog for writing and have made many good friends. When I went to the LDS Storymakers conference in Sandy, Ut a couple weekends ago it was like a reunion! Very cool. I look forward to the conference next year for anothe reunion. :)

I think your blog is a good mix of what makes Shaina. Scrapbooking, Family, Cooking and just the daily things. I feel like I know you better now from reading your blog. Keep up the good work!

kdaygirl said...

I just like to see what my sis and BFf can come up with.

Elise said...

I am one of those that doesn't leave daily comments but I read most of my blogs everyday. I love to keep up with friends and family and see what they are doing. Maybe even ideas for my own family. Love your blog so keep it coming.

sharon c... that's me said...

i'm the same as kim, i just like to see what your life brings next, you make everyday stuff so glamorous... i just love you

HIL Austin said...

I'm not really sure how I came across your blog, but I really enjoy it. I love your recipes, scrapbook pages, and your creative craft ideas. Thanks for sharing your blog with me. Hilary Nixa, MO

Jen Sue Wild said...

I love your blog because it makes me feel apart of your every day life. This way it doese not seem like you are so far away.
I love seeing pix of you and your family exspeshaly Gorge.
You always make me laugh and make me feel jealous that you have a Ross and I don't.
I always love seeing my Teachers LO. (Thanks again for teaching me.) Or should I say thanks for addicting me. LOL
LOve ya Jenn.
Ps. Have Gorge pick the names of the Winner That way I know I will win.

Rayna said...

Shaina, your site is amazing! Filled with great pics, layouts, stories and recipes! When I see 5 or more comments I think, what's one more? Well you asked and here is my comment!
I love hearing about your family, I miss seeing your cute little family at church on Sundays! Take care! Keep up the great work!

Rebekah said...

I like your blog because I love my sista and me nieces and nephews. Oh yeah and heath too. But also I get good ideas from you. You also always have something new to read, everyday, as apposed to me where I have only something every once in a while.

Shavonne said...

Oh, man! I posted a long comment, and just noticed it is not here! Bummer. Anyway, I love to stay updated on everyone's lives, and check the blog cycle 2-3 times a day. My husband thinks I'm obsessed!

Chloe said...

I check in with your blog almost every day! One of the things I like about it is that you update it daily. Keep up the good work - I enjoy it!

Kim said...

I came across your blog several months ago. I read it every day in my "list of favorite blogs". I've commented a few times. I love to see your scrapbook pages and recipes. Like you, I also have 4 kids. Right now, I've been a bad blogger but when I do blog it's usually about my kids. My life evolves around them all right now. I'm hoping to post more scrapbook layouts. I'm slowly getting my blog design. I still haven't figured out that header though!

Kim Ryden said...

I love comments too! Love your blog...just found you! YEAH!