Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The DMV, among other things

Everyone here must secretly be working for the government because everywhere I go, I am asked for my South Carolina Driver's License and heaven help the person that doesn't have one. They must get a secret stipend from the government every time they refer someone to the DMV. "You MUST have a South Carolina Driver's License!" they say, with one hand in the air, the other across their heart, and with a flip of the head and a roll of their eyes, I feel like I'm in the middle of a religious movement! My goodness! Relax. It's not like I don't have a license! It's valid. The picture is still quite complimentary. It just happens to be from another state. (GASP!)

So finally I went in today to get it switched over. I can't get my kids enrolled for school next year without it, and frankly, I need them in school! Last week when I was at the library, I found out where the closest DMV was, found out what I needed to bring, and so I planned for today to be the day.

I got up early and got the kids ready. I know from experience about government businesses. My time is definitely not of importance to them. I didn't want to wait around all day. Anyway, I gathered all my documents: Social Security card, birth certificate, current license, and current electric bill to show proof of residency. That's it. Good to go.

I got the kids buckled up in the van and got myself situated, put the key in the ignition and......

NOTHING.

Darn it all. The battery is dead. I looked up, and noticed the overhead light is on. One of my kids is in a lot of trouble!! This is the third time in a month this has happened. Both times previously, Heath was right there. Today, he was not.

So I put the car in neutral, pushed it out of the garage, wiggled Heath's car perpendicular to the van in the driveway, and popped the hoods. I spent the next few minutes going back and forth between vehicles, adjusting the jumper cables, starting the cars, revving the cars, getting them unhooked and back in an appropriate parking position, and then heading out to the DMV.

I was quite pleased with myself, since it was the first time I had jump started a car completely by myself!!

When I got to the DMV, I walked up to the lady and told her I was new to the state and needed a new drivers license. She then asked me questions like she was challenging me. "Did you bring your birth certificate?" I answered yes with a smile on my face. "Did you bring your social security card?" Again, yes (still smiling). "Did you bring your marriage certificate?" Uh...(trying to smile). Apparently, even though I have my social security card with my married name, it is different than my birth certificate. Therefore, they need to show the document that changed my name. Now, didn't I already do that when I got my new social security card? What about my current license? That has my married name on it too. I've also got a military ID. They don't just give anybody one of those without wanting your whole history and about three different types of bodily fluids. Good grief! It's already in the system Lady!! But, apparently because South Carolina has such state pride, they need to see the evidence for themselves. So with an annoying glance back at the lady, and biting my tongue so I don't tell her that her makeup job really sucks, I get the kids back in the car, go back home (which isn't just a jaunt down the street), get the dang marriage certificate, almost lock my keys in the house, drive back to the DMV, and when she sees me, she asks (somewhat mockingly) "Got it all, this time?"
I bite my tongue in an effort not to speak my mind about her makeup again.

I was pleasantly surprised, however, when it only took about 30 minutes (and 25 bucks) to have my new license, still warm, in my hands.

Long live South Carolina Pride! (said with the utmost respect and sarcasm)

12 comments:

kdaygirl said...

Nice, I like the part about getting the car done all by yourself. That is hard to do. U need to scan in your license so we can all see what a great time u had!!!

sharon c... that's me said...

i still need to get my idaho one... i just am not ready to give up washington yet!

Shavonne said...

I hear you. I have spent my last three months in a DMV, practially!

courtney said...

when I finally changed my license changed from Wahsington to Idaho, last year, it took forever to waite in line only to find out that I needed a different marriage license certificate with the official stampled emblem on it. When I finally got it, oh, did I mention it was only last year that I finally changed it to Coutney Heath and not Weber. Anyways, when I got the dang "official" license, It was the exact same thing, honest, not a single thing different then the one I brought in.

Why do all DMV's have to be to horrible, actually, how in the world do they manage to Hire every awful person alive, and never anyone nice. That must be one of their criteria. "Must have horrible social skills and enjoy causing problems in other people's lives!"

FORD RULES said...

Ya all need to move to Alaska Heck Dale got his motorCycle license with out even knowing how to ride a bike. LOL

I just got a new Drivers license because they put my wrong birth year on it 2 years ago when I got it before we moved to Alaska.. The bad part was they made me older I think I would have been OK if they had made me Younger. But who in the heck wants to be older. LOL

NickisJewelry said...

Shaina,
You really are wonder woman, aren't you?! Way to go! I still have my Arizona licencse. Yes, I've lived three places since then. . . I'm so sorry to hear about your computer but am so glad you are in touch. I was thinking about that camping trip and green peas. I miss you and hope you know how great I think you are!

Chloe said...

Uggggghhhhh, what a day :)

Ande said...

I will always have my WA lis. It doesn't expire until Tom gets out of the Military and then we are moving back there anyway. I hate going to the DMV with all the kids and the hassle, nice that it didn't take too long, here it takes forever and you need a sack lunch just to get by, especailly now that they only have the one in Vacaville.

Queen of Chaos said...

Oh, my! What a day!

I've had to jump one of our vans with Warren's truck before. It was awhile ago and I can't remember why Warren was gone- but I was fondly remebering my expereince as you were sharing yours. Good times!

And I'm proud of you for stickin' to your guns about getting that license! Or maybe you were compelled to do so in order to get people off your back about not having an actual SC DL! Whatever the motive- you go, girl!

dippyrooroo said...

Oh my goodness! What a pain! I still haven't gotten my Montana license, I really don't want to either, but I think my insurance company is going to make me! Good for you for sticking with it! I would have crawled in my bed and cried for the rest of the day!

I'm Always Rite said...

Doesn't the south just suck!? ;) haha You know I love the south, but I do loathe the DMV. I still have my CA license and I really don't think I'll bother changing it unless I'm here at election time. Though I don't even know which reject I would vote for so I don't know if I'll even bother then. I'm proud of you for jumping the van. I still have yet to do it on my own, or rather, need to do it on my own. You rock!

Karen & Matt said...

oh man I hate the DMV. I feel your pain! I'm glad we moved back to Utah so I don't have to worry about changing mine. I'm glad you made it through ok. =)