Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I confess

I have always wanted to write a book. Always. I wish I had taken some publishing classes in college. I have two children's books written, (geared toward 5 year olds) but they really need an illustration to make them great. I have no idea how to submit. I've done a bit of research, but I really want to submit it with the illustrations. I am no artist! At least, not an illustrator.

The reason why I am babbling on, is that I really feel a pull to do something about this. Maybe I should try a young adult book...I don't know. My mom and sister have told me I should write a book about being a mom and all the crazy experiences you go through. But if I keep this blog up, there'd be no reason to buy the book! Everyone could read everything here.

Sorry. Just something on my mind right now. Do there happen to be any children's book Publisher's that read my blog? I think I'm looking for the easy road instead of diving into the world of rejected authors. I don't want to be rejected.

8 comments:

Shavonne said...

I am totally, 100% for you writing a book! Didn't I say that a few weeks ago in a comment to you? I wish I knew someone, because I know you will be great at this, and I'm not just being a supportive sister. I think your writing is refreshing, creative, funny, and very witty. (How's that for praise, eh?) Go for it!

BrittanyLane said...

Hey, I've always wanted to illustrate a children's book, but didn't have a story. e-mail me if you are interested. I taught art for ten years and specialize in pastel painting...
brittanyallenstudios@yahoo.com

Ande said...

I love to write. I already have a few books written, but I have the same problem, I need someone to illustrate. I asked my mom and she turned me down flat, she is very talented. Good luck with it, I know that you can do it.

Natalee said...

Shaina, DO IT!!!!! You are such a talented writer and the world needs your books. That should be on your list of things to get done while Heath is away--Hope that's going okay. . .(This is Nicki)

sharon c... that's me said...

i can draw stick figures:)
email brittany, she's amazing

Karen & Matt said...

Shaina, go for your dreams! I wish I knew someone to help you with the illustrating. Also I love the knew look to your blog. How do you change it without everything getting erased. Also I hope everything goes well why heath is gone. Also with Georges hair mess I would have been mad too. 2 year olds. I hope that she'll leave the desitin alone!

Queen of Chaos said...

I know how you feel. I'm in the middle of my firt novel and it isn't easy by any means. If you feel the need to do it then you should, Shaina. It's as simple as that!

I have 2 children's books finished but haven't submitted then yet. I know I need to just do it but there's always the fear of rejection that pulls me from the inside out.

I met a gal at my writing conference in Salt Lake that had submitted her work over 100 times with all 100 plus rejections. Now she's a published author and won the 2008 Whitney Award for "Dragon Slippers"!
Jessica Day George is her name- she's so awesome and super hilarious. She's my hero and role model when it comes to writing.

Just go for it! Look at me...I am!

Queen of Chaos said...

PS:

From the research I've done and what I learned at my writing conference- you don't need a illustater when you submit children's books. The publisher will find one for you that suites your style.