Thursday, June 12, 2008

Insert Foot

I'm such an idiot! Okay, here's the story. One of my new acquaintances just had a baby. Turns out, I am her new Visiting Teacher. So I was asked to help provide dinner for her tonight. My job was dessert. "She's got a full house. Her parents are visiting too." Ok, that means make enough.. Gotcha.
So I made my mom's Cheery Cherry Dessert Squares. I remember growing up, she would make these when company came over and I always pined for them. They are my Go-To Quick Pantry Favorite.
Anyway, back to the story of why I am an idiot. I make the dessert, set it on the counter to cool, come back to find Kolby digging in with his fork (oooh, I was so mad!). I cut out the section he mangled, tossed the kids in the car and headed over to her house.
I was very anxious to smell a newborn baby, so my thoughts were not as focused as they should have been. When I went up to their door, an older guy answered and I automatically assumed (you know what they say about that word, assume) that he was one half of the grandparents that were mentioned, so I said "Hi! I brought dessert! You must be the grandpa!"



WRONG WRONG WRONG


"No, I'm Carrie's husband. Grandma and Grandpa are on the couch."

OOPS.

I just called her husband a grandpa!! It's not very often that I get embarrassed, but I have to say, I feel like the biggest idiot. If you saw him, you might agree that he does have a certain aging quality about him, but for goodness sake!! I was expecting Grandparents. Not the husband that I've never seen before.

Carrie came over then from the back room. I handed her the dessert, explained about the missing piece in the middle, made my excuses about kids being in the car, and left quicker than anything. Sadness. I didn't even get to smell the wee babe. All because I think her husband was her father.

Open mouth.....insert foot. Darn it all.

6 comments:

Shavonne said...

Oh man, I've been there before. I work in labor and delivery, so there are mothers, sisters, friends, brothers, "S.O.", dads, and grandparents all to be mixed up with each other, so now I just assume everyone is a friend until they label them for me. Sorry you missed out on your baby loving :(

Ande said...

It happens, it could have been a lot worse!!! You could have spilled everything all over him. I bet he gets it a lot though if he looks so much older than his wife. Of course when I am at home everyone thinks that my dad is with me or my sister when we are out together. It is quite funny and they think of him as a diry old man instead of our dad, we just laugh at him.

Jen Sue Wild said...

Oh Shaina I am trying not to laugh at your missery I think we have all made boo boos like that.
Sorry you did not get to see the baby.

BrittanyLane said...

Sounds like something I would do... So, I have a sketch for you but I lost your email in all the chaos. Shoot me an email and I'll sent the photo to you: www.brittanyallenstudios@yahoo.com

KJ-Starre said...

Hahahahahaha! what a 'pas paux'. My bloke, Tersh, did that once with one of his clients....kindly offered to carry a box for her on account of her expecting a baby.......as it turns out she wasn't pregnant...Ooops!

She hasn't spoken to him since....I think that was a double foot moment!
:o)

I'm Always Rite said...

No baby smell!? Come on Shaina! For new baby smell I would expect you to power through such embarassment and get on with the cuddling of a new baby! Ugh! ;) I'll just have to find new baby smell and bottle it for you. :)