Sunday, June 1, 2008

Nice People

There are some really nice people in this world. When I was at Walmart, (everyone goes to walmart in the south) I told my cashier I needed a bag of ice. We continued the conversation throughout the transaction. "What size of bag, large or small?" "Going on a picnic?" etc, etc.

So we finished everything, and just as I was turning away, I said "You got my ice rung up, right?" She said "Oh, shoot!" I looked through my purse, to see if I had some change to pay for it, and she refused. "I'll pay for your ice. It was my mistake." So as much as I told her she didn't need to do that. She insisted, and she paid for my bag of ice. Very nice.

Yesterday, as we got the kids settled down for the picnic, we found this covered pavilion that had quite a few empty picnic benches. After we sat down, and found people staring, we realized it was a party of some sort, because there was a BBQ blazing with tons of hamburgers and hot dogs, as well as a buffet line set up. Before we could get out our lunch from the ice chest, a lady came over and told us that they had expected 200 people for this CDC lunch thing, and only about 30 people were there, so they had all this extra food. "Save your lunch for another day and PLEASE eat our food!" So we did. It was very good, and they even had hard scooped ice cream for dessert.
So there are some very nice people in this world. I am inspired to do my part to join them.

Oh, and NO DICE on the computer. The hard drive is completley dead and we are having a memorial service later today, to remember all the good pictures, recipes, and music that died a tragic death as well. It will be very touching. There might be some tears shed. But such is the life of an ancient hard drive. Goodbye sweet hard drive. You and your files will be greatly missed.

7 comments:

I'm Always Rite said...

I feel your pain. My hard drive crashed a couple days after Simon was born and we lost all but a very few of our first pictures of him. :\ I'll have a moment of silence for your hard drive...

courtney said...

I think we just need to give more people the opportunity to be nice, give the benetif the of doubt, I am glad that you had some good experiences when out and about, it makes it seem not so bad in a new area.

The Girls' Mom said...

Sorry to hear about your hard drive. That will be a hard loss, hoepfully you had your stuff backed up. I'm glad your hubby's back and you all found some southern hospitality.

sharon c... that's me said...

oh man bummer on the computer... i think you're nice:)

Carolann said...

I found that to be true living in Georgia. People are so much nicer in the South.

So sorry about the hard drive. That happened to us once, but we took it to Comp USA and ($450 later) they miraculously backed up all our files so we didn't lose them. We still had to buy all new stuff though. Computers are the best until they break!

Ande said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend with your family. It is nice to find nice people. ( I don't think that there are too many here in CA) Hope that you get a computer this week.

Shavonne said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry about your hard drive. Is all the material irretreivable? And had you typed alot of recipes in before it crashed? That sucks!