Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Snack Attack

Do you ever get a hankering for something sweet, but nothing seems to satisfy the desire? Last night, we had a great dinner. I made Crispy Parmesan Chicken, which is a favorite of ours, and I was completely satisfied afterward. I wasn't hungry. All was good.

About an hour or so later, I was minding my own business, then it happened. It was all I could think about. I went into the kitchen and started looking through cupboards. What could I have? What did I want? I didn't know, but I knew that just had to have something. I had a really great brownie mix, but I didn't have vanilla ice cream. Brownies just aren't the same if they aren't gooey and fudgey, fresh from the oven, and topped with creamy vanilla ice cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce. I must not be limited! Only having half the ingredients for this perfect dessert wasn't good enough.

So I moved on...

What else could I have? I saw apples. Hmmm. I could make the most amazing Apple Crisp in the world, but I didn't have all of those ingredients either. And even if I did, I still didn't have any vanilla ice cream to scoop over it.

Dilemma.

Apparently what I needed, was at the store, since I didn't have proper ingredients to fulfill my cravings.....and I wanted it NOW! I looked down. I was cozy and comfy in my jammie bottoms and I did not want to change. Hmmm. I looked around. Problem solved!! I needed and errand runner....and he was sitting on the couch.

The husband.

Now, how to manipulate him so that he WANTS to go, and does it soon, because at this point, I'm almost going crazy with anticipation of something sweet; something I had yet to decide on, but I knew it would be super yummy.

I bounced over to him and plopped myself down on his lap. "OOOh. Looks like you want something!" Yes, but probably not what he was thinking....

I told him my dilemma and how this desire for something sweet was overtaking me, and he simply must go to the store and get it for me.

He had his own dilemma, like wanting to watch the Tour De France on TV, but like a good trained husband, he said "What do you want me to get?" I told him I couldn't decide, and it was up to him to pick out something fabulous and bring it home to me. So after telling him directions to the store, and agreeing to wait for a commercial break, I plopped down on my bed to read a bit, so as to pass the time away.

Time passed away.

Probably 10 minutes. The husband came in to get ready to go to the store. I looked up at him.

"Never mind. The feeling has passed. I don't need anything anymore."

"So that's it?" he asked.

"That's it"

11 comments:

kdaygirl said...

That sucks....Who needed the extra calories anyways.. Next time eat a peice of candy or chocolate. The craving leaves.

sharon c... that's me said...

i had this same craving last night, but i gave in and had oreos and milk... yum!

courtney said...

In college, I ate bowl of mashed potatoes imagining it was vanilla icecream. I really wanted something sweet and there was nothing in my apartment. I went next door and told the neighbors my problem and they presented me with mashed potatoes...it wasn't satisfying but still funny.

NickisJewelry said...

Oh man! I mean really, man!! I can't believe you let the moment pass like that! I'm sorry, wish I could've been there to convince you to make your amazing apple crisp--even without ice cream, I could've taken it!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Thats a bummer that you did not get a yummy snack when you wanted it!!

Queen of Chaos said...

So all I have to do is pick up a book and my cravings will subside? {Hopefully not a cookbook}

I'm going to have to try this technique!

Karen & Matt said...

Man that stinks. Wish you would have been able to fulfill your snack attack! =)

Jenni said...

hahaha...you're lucky the craving passed...mine NEVER do that! I always have to give in!

KJ-Starre said...

hahaha! I always have a good chuckle reading your posts....you should be a journalist....of the paper kind not the scrappy kind, although you are great at the scrappy kind too....I'm digging a hole right about now aren't I?

Anyway moving right along.....

I get that craving too & we never have anything sweet in the cupboard unless it tickles the fancy of a 4yr old....never thought of buttering the bloke up....I must try it sometime :o) :o)

I'm Always Rite said...

This post could have totally been mine. Ian is such a sucker for snack runs. Usually he's the one begging me to go with him or trying to convince me it's a good idea. I am really missing our late evening runs to the shoppette for ice cream or candy bars. :]

Five-Browns said...

LOL! So funny how we all share these little idiosyncracies! Loved this post - well written and very funny!