Monday, July 7, 2008

St.Augustine (tons of pictures)

Ok, so now I have a moment to tell you about our weekend! Since coming to South Carolina, we've realized how close other states are, distance-wise, to us, and we've been longing to explore. So upon hearing about Margarite's splendid tales of her trip to St. Augustine, and being told by Heath's family about the wonders of St. Augustine and how it's the oldest city in America, we figured we just HAD to go. So we did.

It is only a four hours away from us, so we took of Friday morning-ish and drove straight to the St. Augustine Beach. The kiddos had their swimsuits on under their clothes, their sunglasses on their faces, and their beach gear in their hands. Time couldn't go by quickly enough!
So we got there, set up our little umbrellas and our two folding chairs, took this picture, and then the kids were off! They had a blast playing on the beach. The boys and Kamy love playing on the shoreline and in the waves, but Georgie prefers to just hang out under the umbrella, playing with the sand.


Heath spent most of the time in the water, and I joined him a little bit too, but because Georgie preferred the sand, I was limited to staying by her side, but this is my favorite picture of the day. Just Heath and I relaxing, and none of our "fat parts" showing in the picture!!


After a nice afternoon at the beach, we loaded everyone up, went to the hotel, and washed all that sand off. We ordered some dinner and spent a relaxing evening watching the fireworks from New York on TV. We would have liked to see real fireworks, but after bathing everyone and getting dinner, it was too late to find a spot, not to mention finding parking and then walking over there, what with half the town there already. Oh well.


The next day, after a pitiful breakfast at the hotel (which had problems in itself, such as the toilet not flushing and a dirty room [we switched rooms] and calking from the stairway that got all over my kids' shoes and thus, ended up all over the carpet) we thankfully checked out and then spent an hour or so at the outlets that were right across the street. Soon, the kiddos were begging for the beach again but on the way, we stopped off at the Fortress, which is still mighty and strong. It was built by the Spanish, I think, and served as a great protector to the city for many a years. (sorry Margarite if I'm not doing justice to the history)

Ok, feeling guilty, so I copied this from a site about St. Augustine: The massive stone Castillo de San Marcos, the impressive fortress built by the Spanish in 1672. Inside, you can explore guard rooms, powder magazines, the chapel, shot furnaces, and underground storage chambers. You can also climb the steep stairs to walk along the parapet walls where several original cannons are still mounted and get a Spanish-eye view of the channel and the town.


Heath was interested in the jailhouse. Surprisingly, it was locked!

Up on the roof, the kids liked looking out over the inlet. I know I've mentioned this before, but look! They are standing in birth order. I tell ya. All the time. My kids are wierd.


Georgie didn't like being the cannon ball!


When we were getting ready to go, here come the Spanish, marching up the stairs and ready to demonstrate the firing of the cannons. So we stayed and watched. Keaton freaked out with anticipation of the loud cannons, so Heath had to take him away so as to not disturb everyone else. Here is a shot of the cannons going off. Notice the Spanish. They are plugging their ears. Smart guys!



Let me tell you, I don't think I've ever been so hot. I felt like I was melting. I was so glad when we were done exploring the rooftop. My goodness!! So hot.

So after we ate lunch, we went to Vilano Beach and spent the rest of the day there before we took off to drive back home.






The beach was covered in these teeny tiny broken shells. It really STUCK to your skin! It was so hard to wash off. In fact, I'm sure the kids still have some stuck in the crevises.....
Didn't seem to phase Georgie, though. She kept rolling around in it.
Finally, it was about 4 pm and time to start for home. We weren't even in the car 5 minutes (not yet at the freeway) when I turned around and saw the kids zonked out.
We had a great weekend together. Happy Independence Day!

17 comments:

April said...

Looks like you had a fun and full weekend, love the pictures!

NickisJewelry said...

Love the final picture! That says it all. What great things to see and do. I will miss you this weekend!

dippyrooroo said...

Fun! What a great trip!

Heidi said...

Looks like you all had a great time looked like alot of fun.... We are going to miss you to this weekend the kids talk about you guys all the time and always ask when we can go to ms shaina's house maybe when chad gets back from his deployment maybe we can plan a trip and hit disney while we are out there... :)

courtney said...

That sounds like a blast! Jared loves the beach and wishes we lived closer to one.


When the kids are zonked, you know you did your job! When the mom is zonked and the kids are awake, it means they are ruling you. I just made that up but it sounds very philisophical. :)

sharon c... that's me said...

wow, looks like you all had tons of fun!! i lofve the picture of georgie as a cannon ball, so cute!

Ande said...

You know the kids had fun when you get in the car and within minutes they are all asleep. That beach looks so inviting. Tom and Xanen would have had a blast at the fort. Love your pics as usual, especailly of Heath and George walking together, so cute.

Jen Sue Wild said...

Looks like you had a blast this week end!! I love the pic of teh boys in the waves..

Karen & Matt said...

I'm glad you had fun, it definately looks and soundslike you guys had a BLAST! Love the pictures! I want to go to the beach. =)

Karen & Matt said...

oh yeah and congrats on your calling. I'm the primary secratary too! I absolutely love it! I hope you enjoy it too. =)

KJ-Starre said...

What a GREAT read...sounds amazing! Something about the beach that revives the tiniest of souls...I am glad your kiddlets had a blast. What's with the hotel toilet not working....bummer! (har-har!)
That castle is something....& they still shoot the canon everyday??.....it's the same here, everyday the noonday canon gets shot. I still jumped, even though I heard it everyday for 10 years working in the city :o)

courtney said...

Shaina, I keep trying to get the recipe for Chicken and Black bean taquitoes but it won't come up, will you email or post it again so I can have it? Thanks!

Stacey said...

THat last picture cracks me up!! How neat to get out and do a little traveling. Looks like you all had fun!

I'm Always Rite said...

I am so totally happy that you guys went! Isn't it a cool town!? Looks like you guys made the most of the weekend. I should have warned you about the shells on Villano. They do get into everything and they don't like to get off, thus me making Simon keep his shoes on when we went. I can't believe it's only 4 hours south of you! That's awesome! If Ian has enough time after OTS we're taking about 4 days to go down again. Ian is really excited. :)

Holmes Home said...

It looked like you all had such a good time. I can't remember what vacations are like! We'll be so glad when BJ's program is over and we can do all that fun stuff again! Enjoy those warm east coast beaches while you can!

The Girls' Mom said...

What a fun looking adventure and great picture taking as always. i love pictures with no fat parts myself. I really miss living by a beach *sigh* and congrats on your calling, you'll have to share ideas with me. too bad your not my secretary that would be fun.

Five-Browns said...

Oh man, I so enjoyed living vicariously through you guys....ah for a bitto sun! Love all the pics...esp all 4 kids sleeping!