Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Clever Day

Did you know that today is National Punctuation Day? Where would the world be without punctuation? The world would be a desperate place without order, feelings, or drama. Consider the tragedy:

What if a period was merely an uncomfortably bloated time in a woman's life instead of a way to separate thoughts in a paragraph or a decimal point clarifying numerals, or a way to delicately say "yadda yadda yadda" by doing this...

What if we could never ask a question? Courtship as we know it would completely fall apart. There would be no more asking "Do you want to go out Friday night?" No more followup romantic evenings filled with flowers and roses, men with sweaty hands reaching into their suit coat to pull out a little ring box, and saying"Will you marry me?"without the question mark.

Without the exclamation mark, we would be a very boring nation. There would be no more "Momma!!" yells being heard throughout the house. No more happiness, surprise, excitement, amazement or joy. There wouldn't be anymore "Ouch!!" or "Dang it!" [or other explicatives] or any "YES!!" [I'll leave it at that.]

Without the parenthesis marks, you wouldn't know the side story of anything. I use parenthesis and brackets a lot. Probably too much. They are such a fun way to add snippets of information and adding some fun into your stories.

Without the comma, thoughts would all run together. We wouldn't know when to pause, when to separate, and when to distinguish between things. Between the period and the comma, we'd run out of breath reading aloud, because there would never be a pause.

Not to be left out, we couldn't attach words together without the hyphen or the dash, we couldn't connect similar sentences without the semicolon, we couldn't ever repeat what somebody else said without the quotation marks, and we couldn't have fractions without the slash, and nothing would ever belong to anyone without the apostrophe and we couldn't tell time or suggest a list without the colon.

Let me demonstrate:

Any FRINGE fans out there? It's a new show on Fox and it's written by the same people who wrote LOST! Lost is my favorite show in the world; I can't wait until it comes back on the air. But while I am waiting {I'm totally counting the days too!} this show gives me something to look forward to every week. It's entertaining, full of comic relief, intriguing, mystifying, and unexpected. If you want a "catch-you-off-guard" show, this is it. It comes on 9: 00 pm on FOX every Tuesday.

So as you go through your day today, think about how punctuation has affected your life. You might be surprised at what a prominent player it has been.

Until tomorrow...

13 comments:

kdaygirl said...

There is a whole seinfeld show dedicated to punctuation is so funny!
I am about to watch last nights episode of fringe right now.... no food!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Girl you crack me up!! I guess I have never given this much thought. LOL

The Girls' Mom said...

I have been wanting to watch that show. I was worried I would miss x-files too much and compare it.

BrittanyLane said...

I seriously would be lost without excessive punctuation!!!!! Love it.

KJ-Starre said...

{Hahaha!} you are 'TOO' clever...has anyone ever told you that??

(hows my punctuation doing so far??)

OK...now how-come this is the first I am hearing that you are a lost fan??? I am such a big Lost fan...I need directions back to reality!!
We have Lost-on-DVD marathons in this household :o) & because we have such crap (hic! excuse me) TV here I have to wait until the dratted thing is released on DVD before I can see what the heck is going on. Where on earth series 4 is I don't know.
Aaaaah! I miss it so badly.....OK so what do you think knocked the trees down in the first series huh?????????? & the black smoke thing...& Mr Echo (loved him) whats with him? ok, ok I'll stop before I get hysterical....now look what you have started :o)

XX

Sharon Carpenter said...

weird... but so true

Jana said...

hehe!! where do you find all these clever things. keep them coming because i just love reading your "awesome" blog.

Karen and Matt said...

You are way clever girl!!! That cracks me up! =)

Nicki said...

It's amazing what packing and organizing has done to your brain. Love it!!!

Jenny said...

Shaina...I am speachless! A lot has changed in 13 years. Your family looks like it is doing great, you look great! You will have to catch me up on what has been happening with you. The blog is great!

Megan said...

Jenny sent me the link to your blog and I have to say I'm impressed. You look awesome and have a beautiful family also. I need to read more asap. My blog is boring in comparison but you can find me at calawayfamilylife.blogspot.com

Karen and Matt said...

Hey I forgot to say good luck on moving! That's great that heath will be home with a normal schedule! =)

I'm Always Rite said...

You should write a book! I don't care what about, but I would totally read it! :)