Friday, September 5, 2008

"No Worries, Puppet"

I hear that phrase a lot on movies. Mostly by a pirate trying to woo a lady out of her unmentionables or something of that nature. But this post isn't about the toothless grin of a pirate. It's about some cute finger puppets that I made.

First, let me tell you a short story. Growing up, my mom had these finger puppets that she kept put away in a box. Outta sight...outta mind. We usually forgot about them. But when one of us would see them, we all wanted to play with them, and I think we all staked claim on them at some point. I for sure remember them as being "mine". I'm sure they never were.
Anyway, years later, my clever sister Shavonne decided that she would duplicate them. She made patterns for them and whipped up some sets of them for some of us sisters. I have since made them many times, for friends or some sort of Super Saturday project for the women in my church. Every time I make them, I get a little more artistic with them. I like to make them cute and fun. So enough talk. Here are some pictures.

This is Goldilocks and the three bears.

Little Red Riding Hood, with Grandmother and the Wolf




The three Little Pigs (the wolf is also used for this story).


I just happen to have three kiddos who wanted to model the puppets for you.




It's hard to tell, but they are pretty stinkin' cute. The grandmother has glasses, and is in her robe and night cap. Little Red Riding hood has a very sassy red hooded cape on, and I love all the ringlets in Goldilocks's hair.
We have an auction coming up at church. We are suppose to bring in some type of homemade object, or a craft, or offer up some sort of service for everyone to bid on. These puppets are my contribution. I need to make a set for myself, but by the time I make a set to give away, I don't want to make anymore for a while. They take a lot of work. They have to be hand-sewn. I'm glad they are done. I even burned my finger with some hot glue when it dripped onto my finger. It may sound trivial, but it burned right through half my finger. Well, it seemed like half my finger, anyway. Heath came home right then, and demanded that I put my finger in ice water until it was too numb to feel the pain. Then he bandaged it up and deemed me well enough to continue on as normal. I did milk it a little, when I suggested that there was no possible way I could do dishes with one hand bandaged up. I'll let you know if he takes the hint or not.
As a side note, I've always wanted to make these puppets for Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. Wouldn't that be so cute? I'd have to make lots of little beards...

13 comments:

The Girls' Mom said...

These are so cute, i love them. I see a project coming on...

Jen Sue Wild said...

Very cute!! Love Goldie's hair!! If you ever make snow white and the seven dwarfs you will have to give me the pattern.
When I was little every thing I owned was snow white. when I was 4or 5 my daddy bought me a snow white dress in Brussels and I wore it all the time no other little girl had one as pretty as mine.

Sharon Carpenter said...

i remember making these when kamyren was sleeping!! oh the memories of you in spokane:) and watching the same three chick flicks everytime i came over

kdaygirl said...

I totally remember these puppets as mine and mom told me that she would keep them for me, so that woudnt get ruined. I never saw them after that unless she happened to get them down. Those and the wooden "paper dolls". I still have the set that u made me for Christmas and they are "safe" from little hands. They are to cute that I only ever used them as a church quiet toy.

Becky Heisler said...

OMG Shania, those puppets are sooo cute! You should sell them! And get trying that 6x12 layout ;)

Queen of Chaos said...

We enjoyed our set a lot. :)

This is a very good idea for the church auction.

Shavonne said...

Hate to tell you girls (well, not really!) but I actually have mom's set. She gave them to me for safe keeping, and for patterns, and then has given me the books to go along with them...so, guess I'm her favorite!

Elise said...

Those are adorable. So talented.

dippyrooroo said...

We have loved ours almost to the point of pieces! I may have to make a set myself to replace them soon! My favorite thing about them is how well they have kept the kids entertained on long car trips!

Stacey said...

Those are AWESOME!!!! I totally want to copy you and make these. WHat did you use? Totally fun little puppets!

Rayna said...

Too cute! Did you use felt, fabric, you'll have to post the pattern. Or should I say would you share the pattern, please?

shaina said...

I used felt for the bodies and the clothes. Yarn for the hair. googly eyes and puffy noses adhered with hot glue, and I hand sewed everything else.

I'm Always Rite said...

Cute! I think I know how I'll spend one or two of my empty days. :)