Thursday, October 2, 2008

Squabble of the Sides

I washed all of our bedding last night because Georgie spent most of the day throwing up on it. So after it was all clean, I pulled it out of the dryer [I stopped a minute to drink in the luscious smell of freshly washed blankets adorned with fabric softener] and then made the bed. There was a little corner of the sheet that didn't get all the way dry because it got wrapped up inside the blanket in the dryer and it was on the foot of my side of the bed.

I got in bed, noticed the wet spot caressing my ankles, and skipped over to Heath's side of the bed. He usually likes to stay up late and watch t.v. so I figured by the time he came to bed, the wet spot would be dry and I could claim my little piece of bed heaven again.

Wrong.

He totally noticed that I was avoiding the damp spot and had commandeered his side of the bed but he didn't care. He's been trying to sneak himself my side of the bed for a while now. Ya know the phrase "The grass is always greener"? That's what Heath has been thinking for a few years. It use to be that we'd sleep on whatever side and it didn't matter, but then Heath claimed a side, so I took the other one. It worked for a while until he got it in his head that my side was better. By then, I was use to it and didn't want to change.

So last night he took his opportunity on my side of the bed. We went to sleep. Tossed and turned. Hours went by. Finally, I sat up and looked at the husband. He was already up.

"Want to switch sides back?"

"Yup."

We spent the rest of the night sleeping with the cozy familiarity and contour that we have conformed to. I think Heath will stay on his side of the bed from now on. Of course, he leaves tomorrow for Colorado, so it will be a few weeks until our sides mingle again.

10 comments:

I'm Always Rite said...

That cracks me up! It would totally drive me nuts to switch sides. Though, I must admit, I usually branch out when Ian is away... The next six weeks will be... branchy. :]

Glad you got it all worked out. ;)

Karen and Matt said...

LOL! I probably would have done the same thing. =) We have our designated sides too. It would feel weird to sleep on the opposite side!

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

My hubby and I have our own sides too! When he is away for the night though, I lay smack dab in the center of the bed and love every inch of it!!!

You could take the middle and do "sheet angels" and thoroughly enjoy your side of the bed --- the middle!!!

Jen Sue Wild said...

For the last 18 and a half years I always have slept on the same side of the bed.We have never tried or wanted to switch.

Ande said...

We have always slept on the same sides of the bed. The funny thing is that in my family all the women sleep in the left side and all the men the right side. (that's if you are laying down) Whenever Tom is gone though, I end up on his side of the bed, I guess I feel closer to him when I do that. He can't stand sleeping on my side, it drives him nuts.

Megan said...

Cam and I were like you. We used to be able to switch sides whenever and did so when he'd get the notion to do so. But we can't anymore - to set in our ways now. We had a similar experience not too long ago.

Stacey said...

Sooo funny! I HAVE to sleep on teh same side I always do. Even when we go to a hotel. Sometimes he'll forget and try to claim a spot on the "wrong" side and I have to remind him. LOL.

The Crockett's said...

So funny! I always have to sleep on the side nearest to the door in case the kids wake up (or when I'm pregnant and have to pee), so it changes when we go to the in-laws or a hotel. But I never sleep well on the other side. Kenny can sleep anywhere! But once he's asleep, he's out so it's hard to wake him up or move him.

Queen of Chaos said...

You sound like us!

Lolly said...

I loved this story! You totally had me cracking up. I had a feeling you would not make it through the night. I have had a similar experience. Too funny!