Thursday, November 20, 2008

Lasagna Soup

This is a recipe I got from my friend Becky. She got it from Meals Matter. So if you're looking for more meal ideas, it's a good place to go.

As always, I have made my own variations to this dish. The original recipe is HERE...but here is my version of it.

1 lb. ground Italian sausage
1 Medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14-1/2 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz. ) can tomato sauce
1 (14-1/2 oz.) can beef broth
1 1/2 cups Water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons fresh chopped basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt and pepper, add more to taste
1 teaspoon thyme
3 cups dried mini lasagna noodles (American Beauty) or rotini pasta
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese


Brown sausage, garlic, and chopped onions in a big soup pot. Drain if necessary. Add cans of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir in beef broth, water, brown sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil and add dry pasta. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. As the noodles cook in the sauce, it will get thicker and thicker. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Garnish each bowl with mozzarella cheese. Serves plenty for our family, plus seconds, plus leftovers. If the soup gets too thick, you can always add more water. I liked mine thick.


We served this soup with some garlic bread and it was so good. Everyone loved it.

2 comments:

I'm Always Rite said...

I love soup! Yum!

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

This looks amazing.... especially with cooler days ahead. I love recipes so keep posting!!!