Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Favorite Fresh Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

I love it when the cranberries appear in the grocery stores again because it means I can make these yummy cookies. I got the recipe from Coconut and Lime.
If you haven't checked out that site, it's got some really really great recipes. I found this recipe last year about this time and it's a favorite.



Fresh cranberries can be frozen perfectly. Just put your little bag of cranberries in the freezer and it will be fine for....well, a long time. I buy tons of bags this time of year so that I have them to use later in the year when they aren't in season.

Ok, so here is the recipe, which I got from Coconut and Lime (so give the credit to Mr. Coconut and Mrs. Lime), I have doubled it for you (because you really really want it doubled!) My version is a tad bit different than the original, as always. I simply cannot follow a recipe without adding or changing things a bit!

1 stick softened butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of ginger

2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips (then add more. Nobody's lookin'!)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (totally optional, but I like them)

1 bag of fresh cranberries (The whole bag. Do not chop them. Just dump them in.)


In a large bowl, cream together butter, vanilla, and brown sugar. Add the eggs and beat until fluffy. Add the baking powder, salt, ginger, flour, and oats. Mix until well combined. Add mini chocolate chips, chopped walnuts (optional) and mix. Fold in your cranberries. (just a note, but you really want to use the mini chocolate chips for this recipe instead of the normal size chocolate chips.) (additional note: Yes, Nicki. These are the cookies I made you last year.)


Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 13 minutes, depending on your oven. They should look "set" and be just brown on the bottoms. Let cool on the pan for about 10 minutes before removing to wire wrack to cool completely.


These cookies have a sweet bite and then you taste the tart burst of cranberry...simply delicious! These look really festive around the Holidays too. Enjoy!

8 comments:

traci said...

do you cook the cranberries or just put them in raw...also how many cranberries... and finally, could something else be substituted for oats??? thanks sounds great..

shaina said...

One bag of cranberries (you buy them already in the bags in the produce section.) Add the whole bag. Do not cook them or chop them, but they should not be frozen.

Add more flour if you don't want to add oats.

TheTennesseeWilliams said...

Ok Really, Shaina, I need to come hang out at your house for a while. You are way too tricky/crafty and have some really good recipes. I need it to rub off on me! Tell Heath Hi for me!

LollyChops said...

Today is my cookie making day (on top of the other thousands of casseroles I will be making) and I just so happen to have these ingredients... perfect timing..

Wonder what orange cranberry cookies would be like.. have you ever had cranberry orange nut bread..? I would love to see that turned into cookies like this too.. yummers.

Miss James said...

Wonderful! I have been looking for a recipe that uses fresh cranberries, thank you so much!!

Catfish said...

I just made these...I didn't have mini-chocolate chips, so I just chopped the regular kind...it seems to have worked fine, though I haven't eaten one yet...we're on the "sit for ten minutes" stage.

Mary Raphael said...

I'd leave them to bake a bit longer.

Unknown said...

And because there was no one to stop me, I added coconut.