Monday, November 17, 2008

Philly Cheesesteak

When I was in college, I worked at this restaurant that made philly cheesesteaks. During that time, I learned how to chop onions, green peppers, and mushrooms really really well! I also learned how to make their signature sandwiches. Pretty cool.

So get yourself some steak and ask your Butcher at the grocery store to slice it really thin (or you can get your husband to slice it for you...which is what I did.) I don't really know what kind of steak I bought, but make sure it's a good quality steak with no bones in it. After it was sliced up, the husband went through and chopped it up so we had little bits instead of big strips. Easier to eat that way.

We seasoned our meat with some Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic, then we browned it up in a skillet with just a bit of oil at the bottom so it wouldn't stick. Set that aside.

Chop up onions, green bell pepper (I used a red bell pepper because I like them better) and mushrooms (I left these out. Not a fan.) nice and small. Bring out your sliced provolone cheese and your cream cheese. Get some water in a cup or a squirt bottle ready. Get your tomatoes sliced and your Hoagie rolls open and ready.

Now...take a handful of onions, a handful of mushrooms, and a handful of bell pepper (or whatever combination you like). Put them in your skillet and squirt water around your pile so that the veggies can steam cook. After a few minutes, when the onions are clear and cooked through, add a handful of your meat. Take a scoop of cream cheese and add it to your mixture. Work it around a bit with a spatula, adding more squirts of water if you need to, and get it all incorporated. Put a slice of provolone on top, squirt the sides with a bit of water to get it steam melted, and then you are done!

Put some slices of tomatoes in your roll if you like them, and scoop in your filling mixture. It should be gooey and cheesie and look really really yummy. Now....EAT!

7 comments:

BrittanyLane said...

Sounds fantastic. I think my husband would love it. How did the signing go?

Jen Sue Wild said...

Sounds yum!!
Yeah how did the sining go?

dippyrooroo said...

Yum! It's funny you posted that today because Friday we got a Philly cheese steak pizza from Papa Murphy's and I fell in love!

The Girls' Mom said...

That looks so good! Looking at this is makes the ramen I'm eating really unsatisfying!!! What kind of roll did you use it looks a little like sourdough.

Heath said...

Wow that Philly Cheese stake pizza sounds good. Shaina's cheesestakes are awsome and she knows how to prepare them right from working at the chees stake place. I do however have to take partial credit for the meat, I shaved it by hand and it turned out pretty good.

I'm Always Rite said...

Superman loves philly cheese steaks! I will have to make this very soon! Thanks Shaina! :)

The Brewers said...

I was just thinking that Bruchi's sounded good...maybe I will just make it myself...or not!