Monday, December 29, 2008

Happy Birthday Shavonne!


Today is my sister's birthday. I have 6 sisters. Shavonne is the one born right after me. She is 2 and a half years younger than I am. Today, she is 30 years old.

When I was in high school, and taking Spanish class, I was soooo good at speaking Spanish, (I jest) that I told Shavonne that her name translated to "Savonay" in Spanish. The name stuck, and most of us call her Savonay now.
Everyone in my family knows that I love Oldies Music. One day, when I was in my teens, I was listening to the song "I only have eyes for you" (Follow this link to hear it) and during the chorus, when they sing "Shu-wap-da-vap) I convinced Shavonne that they were really singing "shut-up sha-vonne!" And so it became our special song. It is still the ringtone I use, when she calls my cell phone.
Growing up, I usually shared a room with my older sister Kimmie. Shavonne often wanted to join us in our super cool room, but we hardly let her in. During the rare occasions that she wormed past our defenses, she would stand in the doorway of our room and let her eyes roam over every detail on my side of the room. I would yell "Stop taking mental pictures of my stuff!" and then I would kick her out, for I knew her plan. She would memorize where everything was, so that later, when I wasn't guarding my room, she would come in and quickly be able to take what she wanted to in a matter of seconds and sneak away to enjoy her spoils of war.
Now that was my claim. She said she just wanted to be with me because I was so cool. Well, she had one thing right! (again, I jest.) However, she continued to tease me, by coming into my room and then making the ch-ch noises that a camera would make as it's taking a picture. Wickedly evil!
During my final years of college, and her beginning years of college, we both went to BYU and really enjoyed hanging out. We use to take pictures by the statue of the Naked Indian on campus (I'll have to see if I still have one of those pictures) and we shared Thanksgivings together, eating all the side dishes hours before the turkey was done, because we didn't time it right.
So on this momentous day, when you enter a new decade, and join us old-timers, I wish you the very best Birthday ever! Love ya Savonay!!

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Sisters are the best! And all your Christmas photos look so great! A wonderful Christmas indeed! I love your crafty homemade gifts, extremely cute and obviously loved! Could I put any more exclaimation points?! YES!!!!

kdaygirl said...

Happy birthday little sister!!!! I love you!

Shavonne said...

thanks Shaina!!!!!!!!!!! I love you too!!

I'm Always Rite said...

You've just made me miss my sisters so much! Why is it that we never appreciated them as much as we should have when we had them under our feet around every corner?

Sharon said...

happy birthday shavonne!