Friday, December 12, 2008

Heartbreaker

Last night, as I was carrying the mashed potatoes to the dinner table, Keaton turns around and casually says "Mom, I am in love with a girl in my class".

Whoa. I tried to be casual as well. "Oh really? In love, huh? That sounds pretty serious. Who are you in love with?" He replied with a heartfelt sigh. "I am in love with Chloe M. in my class. She is just so beautiful."




With a bit of amusement, I say "Oh. She sounds lovely."



He sighs again, rather deeply. "But you see momma, I love her so much, but she doesn't love me. I mean, I just love her so much."



Oh my. His first heartbreak.



So after Kamy chimed in and said she liked somebody too, I decided that now was the time to talk to them about how it's ok to be friends with boys and girls, but we shouldn't say they are "boyfriends" or "girlfriends" until they get much older, when they are sixteen.



Last night, after telling Heath the story, he said "That's so funny. You are putting it on your blog, right?" So I pulled Keaton aside before he left for school this morning, and told him I wanted to take a picture so I could tell about him being in love with little Miss Chloe, and he said "But mom! You said I couldn't talk about having a girlfriend until I was sixteen!" I told him I just wanted to tell his story. He was still a bit heartbroken when I took this picture, but he was trying to be happy. So sad, having to give up his first love. (sigh)

9 comments:

LollyChops said...

Poor little guy. He's such a cutie.. I would have told them they had to wait till they were 60..not 16.. heh. I think I would be a tad over protective of a mommy.

Rebekah said...

oh Keaton, he is so sweet. I feel bad for him, I hope it does not take long for him to get over her.

courtney said...

On my sister-in-law Des' blog, she posted a love note that her 6 year old boy got from a girl. It is so sweet yet surprising how early these little kids are starting to notice the opposite sex. Cute though!

dippyrooroo said...

Ah! Well I hope you are also telling him that he has to save his heart for his betrothed, Kelsie! ;)

Jenni said...

oh boy...that's too funny. Starting out young!

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

Poor guy. Maybe she is just playing hard to get. He is a handsome little guy!

Ande said...

Poor Keaton, so cute though. I guess I need to start chekcing more, I missed almost a week and missed out on your contest. Happy Birthday to Georgie, she is so cute.

Kim Watson said...

Oh dear being little sucks sometimes, doesn't it. He'll bounce back you'll see.....& he'll be talking about beauty no. #2 in no time :o)

Jenny said...

What a sweetheart! We have had a couple of those experiences already. Nathan is in middle school and got "asked out". That was a funny conversation...