Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What's better than Chips and Salsa?

Tonight, my homemade refried beans were the dip of choice for these tortilla chips. What's so cool about these beans was that I actually made them myself. From scratch. There were no can openers involved in this recipe. I'll tell ya how I did it. It's so easy.



Take a 1 pound bag of pinto beans. You'll find these in the grocery store, usually on a shelf level with your ankles. They should be by the pastas or beans. Grab 1 bag. It makes more than you think.


Pour your beans into your crock pot and pour enough water into the pot to cover the beans twice over. I probably added about 4 cups of water. (you know me...I never measure.)


Ok, so now dump in some seasonings. I put in about 2 tsp each of salt, pepper, chili powder, and minced garlic. Turn your crock pot on high. Cover with the lid, and let it cook 5 hours.
Intermittently, check your beans and give them a stir. Within an hour or two, the beans will start to float. Make sure there is enough water in there to cover them. The beans will soak up the moisture. Add additional water if you need to, to make sure they are always covered. I added at least another cup of water.


After 5 hours, your beans should be done cooking. Strain the beans from the liquid BUT DON'T DISCARD THE LIQUID! Put your beans in your food processor (or blender) and puree them until they resemble, well, refried beans! I added some of the reserved bean liquid until my beans had the consistency I was looking for. Blend some more. This only takes a minute. Now, you get to season some more. I added an additional tablespoon of chili powder, cumin, and salt. Now, taste again. Add more salt if needed, or any other additional seasonings you want. You can even add in some sour cream and/or cheese. Yum.


There ya go. We had tacos tonight, so that is why I made the beans, but in truth, I've always wanted to learn how to make refried beans. I had a friend in South Carolina who, before I moved away, told me how to make them. Today seemed like the perfect day to try.


By the way, these were really the best refried beans I've ever tasted. Kolby said "Mom, I don't just like these beans, I LOVE THEM!" Heath said they were the best he's ever had. Keaton and Kamy were too busy shoving their mouths full of chips loaded with beans to reply, and Georgie said "It's good, momma!"


So there you have it. Five stars from this family. Go make some. Oh, and it makes a big bowl. I would guess it's equal to about 2 and a half cans of refried beans, if you were to compare. So invite a few friends over. Tell them to bring the chips. You've got yourself a party!

11 comments:

melissahurst99 said...

Aren't you just the little cook!! I prefer the can opener style myself, but maybe I will give these a try since we have tons of pinto beans!! Thanks!

BrittanyLane said...

Thanks! Sounds yummy. I'll have to try it for our New Year's fiesta.

courtney said...

We get so much beans from wic that Jared and I decided to make our own refried beans. I agree, they taste so much better! I love homemade beans!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Yummy! My Dad would always make us these growing up . I just have never tried it..

Stacey said...

Sounds super easy and yummy!!!

runningfan said...

We're huge fans of refried beans at this house...we'll have to try this. Well, assuming that one day I'm ambitious enough to put away the can opener. :)

I'm Always Rite said...

You are so cool!
We are big refried bean fans so I will be making these soon! :)
Thanks Wonder Woman! ;)

Jenni said...

Wow--those look so yummy and sound so easy! I wanna try!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Jenny said...

Shaina for all your readers that are intimidated by the 5 hours in the crock pot...I did them last night with canned pintos cooking them for 20 minutes (while I was cooking chicken and chopping veggies for fajitas) and then putting them in the blender...I added some other various spices - they were wonderful! Very sooth and creamy. Just thought I would let you know that if you forget to start the crock pot the 30 minute route is still great!
Thanks for the tip!

Kimberly said...

Good recipe!! I LOVE re fried beans...actually I LOVE mexican food in any form. It is looks totally delicious!

crystal wolf said...

Yum, you post the best recipes! I made the Peanut Butter Fudge and the Andes Mint Cookies yesterday and sent them to work with my hubby today. They got rave reviews.