Friday, January 23, 2009

An Early Valentine's Temptation




I'm going to give you step by step instructions on how to make these yummy Frozen Peanut Butter Cups!! Seriously. These are my new favorite indulgence. Absolutely super delicious. It only takes a few ingredients, and since I aim to please, I took many pictures along the way. It really is easy. Don't let the number of pictures fool you. Here goes. First...the ingredients.



Frozen Peanut Butter Cups (courtesy of Tyler Florence)

1 pound (16 oz) of semisweet chocolate. (I do not recommend using chocolate chips. You can find bars of semisweet chocolate right above the chocolate chips in the store.) Chopped up.
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup honey
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts


Melt your chocolate in a double boiler. I don't have a fancy double boiler. I just use a small pot with a few inches of water in it. I brought it to a boil, then turned it down on LOW. I put my glass bowl on top of the pot (making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl, and stirred my chocolate until it melted. Keep your chocolate in this bowl, over the pot of hot water throughout the process of making this recipe. It keeps the chocolate warm and smooth so you can use it.

Take your mini muffin pan and dot a bit of chocolate in the center of each cup. Then line each cup with your paper liners. The chocolate will help the liner stay in place. Lightly spray the insides of the wrappers with PAM, or whatever non-stick cooking spray you have.

Next, line each paper lining with a nice coating of chocolate. Don't skimp....but the cup shouldn't be filled with chocolate either. Use about a tablespoon of chocolate per cup. This step is so easy if you have a pastry brush that has these silicone bristles. It makes the job so much easier! Here's one I found at Walmart, but the one I have is from Ikea and only cost a buck or two.


Put the pan in the freezer to harden while you are making the filling. Remember, keep the melted chocolate warm...we'll need it again in a few minutes.


Whip your whipping cream in your mixer until it forms soft peaks. This took about 7 minutes. While that is whipping, combine your peanut butter, warm water, and honey in a bowl. Blend until smooth. Using a rubber spatula, fold in your whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture to make a light mousse. (Don't overdo it. It's ok if there are streaks of cream in the filling.)


Spoon your peanut butter mousse into a pastry bag (I used a Ziploc bag), get your frozen cups out of the freezer, and pipe the mousse into the centers, leveling the top. Put it back in the freezer for a few more minutes, until the mousse sets up a bit.

Get your pan back out of the freezer and spoon a teaspoon of melted chocolate over the top of each cup. (I took this picture with my left hand, with the camera upside down, because that's just how much of a smarty pants I am.)


Sprinkle chopped nuts over the tops of each cup and put it all back in the freezer for about 20 more minutes. In the mean time, look at my blog and make a comment or two.


Ok. Now you can invert the muffin pan and pop out your fabulous peanut butter cups. Put them on a cute plate...wander over to your bed. Get comfy under the covers, and watch a really great chic flick.




These can be eaten straight out of the freezer. The chocolate isn't too hard, and the whipped center stays...well...whipped. It does not harden. You can also keep them in the fridge. I don't recommend you leaving them on the counter for long, because you will end up with kids who help themselves, thus making a chocolaty mess.

p.s. This recipe makes 30-40 mini peanut butter cups.

11 comments:

I'm Always Rite said...

YUM! Do you ever stop Wonder Woman!? ;)

traci said...

yummmmm -o- ill have to try this when i get off my fast... meanwhile... ill try the broccoli soup..

Stacey said...

Yummoooo!!!!! I don't think I should make these because I might eat them all. LOL

Colleen said...

It's a good thing I don't diet, because if I did reading your blog would make me fail spectacularly! Those look so dang good! I am so glad to have a friend who loves the peanut butter/chocolate combo as I do! I think I have some whipping cream in the fridge....

Jenni said...

YUM! SOunds great!

Megan said...

I can't believe your not huge with all the yummy food you seem to always be making. I'll have to try these sometime.

Rebecca said...

Super delicious lookin'. Thanks for the step by step instructions. I'll have to try this one soon, maybe even this weekend.

The Brewers said...

hey...can you email me the recipe without pictures? tiphaine.brewer@gmail.com Eric might like these a little better than the chocolate boobies...remember those?!?!?

LollyChops said...

yikes.. these look crazy GOOD!!!! and you are right.. pretty easy too!

Valerie said...

Those are so cute and look delicious. I love little bite-size trets. I'll have to give them a try soon.

(From a stranger who popped onto your blog and enjoyed the visit)

Kirsten said...

Can't wait to make these! My husband LOVES peanut butter cups so it will be fun to make these for him! Love your blog.