Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Floating Tacos

Not sure where the name of this dish came from, but I got the recipe from my friend Tiphaine, before we joined the military. It's been made many MANY times since then; it's definitely a favorite of ours. In fact, it makes a nice big soup pot. When we are putting away the leftovers, we take half of it, put it in a freezer safe Ziploc bag, and freeze it. When we want to have it again, we thaw it out in the fridge for 24 hours and then re-heat on the stove top, adding a bit of water to give it the right consistency. So you get to cook it once, and eat it twice. What could be better?



Floating Tacos

1 pound of hamburger (I usually use ground turkey)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 6 oz can tomato paste
3 cups of water
2 cans of kidney beans (I usually add one can of light red kidney beans, and one can of dark red kidney beans. It gives it some nice variety.)
1 cup uncooked rice
Spices: 1 Tbsp each of sugar, oregano, cumin, chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste


Brown your meat and onion in a soup pot. Add garlic. Add in your tomato sauce, paste, water, beans, and rice. Add in your seasonings. Stir to combine and let it come to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for ab out 30 minutes, stirring occasionally; the rice will cook in the sauce. Add more water if the mixture gets too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Toppings:
1 bag Fritos
Shredded cheese
Diced tomatoes
Shredded lettuce
olives
green onions
salsa

Sauce:
Combine 1/2 cup sour cream with 1/2 cup ranch dressing

Build up your floating taco, starting with fritos on bottom, add a few scoops of taco soup mixture. Top with whatever toppings you like, and finish off with a dollop of your ranch sauce. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Jen Sue Wild said...

We do love this dish at our house..
It's nice and filling.
Hmm maybe I will make it tonight.

Trinette McCrary said...

Yummy!!!

Colleen said...

Tasty! And here is a little random fact: I graduated high school with Zeke Hsu, who is married to Maggie Hsu (I don't know her maiden name) who went to school with you and Heath! SMALL WORLD! I love it when stuff like that happens!

I'm Always Rite said...

Looks and sounds delicious!

Julee said...

I can't wait to try it!

Kim Watson said...

Ah! I am so busy drooling I can hardly type. I LOVE Mexican food in any form or shape. It is our FAVE family meal!

I have to tell ya that I am SUPER jealous at the fact that in a couple opf hours you will be watching Lost. If we are lucky we will get it here next year :o( :o(
I can't watch it on the internet either because they don't like my SA ip address...double :o(

I love your pics of the rock climbing....it looks like SOOOO much fun!

Hugs to you & all your beautiful brood.
XXX

Karen and Matt said...

Yum! My mouth is watering right now. That looks soooooo good!!! =)

annaka said...

Mmmmm, yum, I'm thinking it looks like a good dinner for tonight!
xo
A

The Brewers said...

This is so my favorite thing to eat...my kids hate it, though...oh, well...more for me!

The Girls' Mom said...

I love this recipe. We even took it camping last year.