Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hiking Trails and Climbing Walls


This always seems to be my view, when we go on hiking trips. I bring up the rear. Not because I'm slow, mind you, but because I am often holding the hand of the slowest one.


Keaton took this picture of me, to document that fact that I was on this family trip too. I just love all the rock formations and cool trails that are in abundance at Garden of the Gods. You could pick a new trail everyday, and it would take you on an adventure. If you don't know already, we love that place. Most of the trails are easy enough for George to walk by herself. If we try to help her, she says "No! Georgie do it!"


It was such a sunny, blue-sky type of day, with the temperature in the 60's. We just couldn't find fault with that. It was beautiful. In the picture above, you can see Pike's Peak in the background, still covered in snow. There were a few snowy patches on the trails we hiked, but for the most part, it was clear and dry.
The reception isn't too bad out there as well.

Then after a quick snack of oranges, granola bars, and cheese crackers, we drove a few miles over to Red Rock Canyon where we met up with Heath's friend and co-worker to do a little bit of rock climbing. He had all the equipment and everything, so he harnessed up the kiddos and they each got a turn climbing the rather steep wall of rock.



Keaton made it the furthest up the wall. He climbed at least 50 feet up before we called him back down. Of course, it took him the longest to climb back down, because he wouldn't listen to us telling him how to descend properly. See the two people in the picture just below? Keaton's the one in the top middle. He did so great and wasn't afraid at all!


Kamy and Kolby also did really well for their first time climbing. If the sun hadn't gone down, and the temperatures hadn't plunged, we would have stayed out longer. As it was, my feet were so tired from all the hiking, and Georgie was getting tired herself...so we called it a night.
Tomorrow, since it is a 3-Day weekend, Heath is going to take his bike and race around Garden of the Gods. The kids and I will hike Helen Hunt Falls (not named after the actress) and it should be a fun day.

7 comments:

Nicki said...

WOW!! That looks so fun. We are still up to our shins in snow. It's nice to see that it's thawing somewhere in the world. BTW--LOVE your haircut. I think the color looks great too. Looks like life in CO is treating you very well! Miss you.

Ande said...

That looks so fun and what a beatiful place!!!

courtney said...

Sounds like an awesome place, I am excited to see it someday!

Colleen said...

We love G of G too! The boys favorite thing to do is "boulder" on the large rocks to the sides of the trail. The rock climbing looks like a blast! Glad you guys got to enjoy this fabulous weather.

Megan said...

That hike looks awesome. I didn't realize how much that area looks like Southern Utah - like Zions. My kids would love a day like that. I wish we could come hike with you tomorrow.

I'm Always Rite said...

Looks like a blast! I can't wait for Superman's schedule to settle down so we can really start exploring! :)

Karen and Matt said...

Wow, that looks and sounds so fun! I'm so glad you were able to go. What a nice day. Those peanut butter munchies look yummy! I'm going to try them soon! =)