Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Kolby's Favorite Stir-Fry


We first made this recipe last summer, and Kolby deemed it his favorite. Since he is our most picky eater, we thought this recipe very successful. As a side story, Kolby loves to watch Survivor Man or Man vs Wild with Heath. Well, all of us enjoy those shows. Anyway, Kolby is enthralled with the idea of eating scorpions, rattle snakes, and bugs of all kind. So when we are trying to get him to eat his dinner, we have to tell him that the next bite is a big juicy caterpillar, or a mean scorpion....and he'll shove the food into his mouth and eat with gusto. Weird. But it works. With this meal, however, no imaginary creepy crawlies were used to get him to eat. He even ate all the spinach without a moments pause. I don't think he even knew they were there.
...
Back to the recipe. I clipped it out of some magazine, and I don't remember which, so I apologize for not crediting it properly. As always, I have changed the recipe just slightly to accommodate our taste buds.
...
Ingredients:
1 pound beef round tip steaks, sliced thin
6 ounces uncooked thin spaghetti
1 package (10 oz) fresh spinach, stems removed, sliced thin
1 can (8 oz) water chestnuts, drained
1/4 cup sliced green onions
2 Tbsp chopped red chili peppers (I just used a couple of shakes of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes)
...
Marinade
1/4 cup hoisin sauce (Do not substitute! This sauce is amazing!)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp water
2 tsp dark sesame oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
...
Slice beef into thin 1 inch strips. Combine marinade ingredients. Pour half over the beef. (reserve remaining half of the sauce) Cover and marinate in fridge for at least 10 minutes. You can marinate the beef for half the day, if you want.
...
Do you have a wok? If so, use it to cook this meal. If not, use a big soup pot.
...
Cook pasta al dente. While pasta is cooking, remove beef from marinade (discard used marinade). Heat pan with 1 Tbsp oil and add beef, cooking for about 2 minutes, until outside surface is no longer pink. Remove from pan with slotted spoon. Set aside.
...
In the same skillet combine cooked (and drained) pasta, spinach, water chestnuts, green onions, red pepper flakes, and reserved marinade. Cook until spinach is wilted and mixture is heated through, stirring occasionally. Return beef to skillet. Toss to combine. Garnish with chili peppers (if you are using them) and serve! We made some amazing egg rolls that my friend Young gave me the recipe for, to go with this meal. If she gives me permission, I'll have to post that recipe too!)
...
(The sesame oil is very potent!! If you like the flavor, add both teaspoons. If not, hold back a bit. We found it to be very overpowering. Also, sometimes I substitute sugar snap peas for the spinach, which we found more to our liking.)

10 comments:

BrittanyLane said...

Yummers! I love stir fry, but my family can take it or leave it. They don't really like anything where all the food is mixed together. I make it anyway. (BWAHHHHAHAH)

I concur with you on the hoisin sauce. I use it all the time.

Colleen said...

Ben loves beef, Zach loves noodles, and we all love stirfry so this may just be a hit in our house!

courtney said...

Jared and I have such a hard time making chinese food we like and that looks so good! Just a few days ago we made a sweet and sour stir fry, it turned out but it wasn't all I hoped it could be. This looks really good, I am totally going to try this one!

However, it might not happen for a while so if we ever come and visit you, I am requesting that!:)

Jen Sue Wild said...

Sounds yummy! I will haVE TO TRY this MAYBE BEN WILL EAT IT. He is our picky one..

Holmes Home said...

If only I could con my picky eaters into something like that. Do "princesses" eat worms, scorpions, and snakes too?

Karen and Matt said...

That looks yummy! I'll have to try it, and see if my 2 picky eaters will eat it! =)

TheTennesseeWilliams said...

Ok we tried this tonight and we liked it. Next time no crushed red peppers, my kids were saying it was too spicy and thier tongues were on fire. I may add some carrots and some other veggies next time too.

LollyChops said...

This sounds totally yummers!

Hoisin is the best stuff ever! Mix it in soup and it changes everything!!!

April said...

I'm gonna have to givethis one a try, I think I've made everyone of your recipes you've posted. We have to trick both of ares, we actually told them that when they eat the food will scream they ate so good that night.

Jeff and Lori said...

I'm making this for the second time tonight. Definitely a repeat kind of meal. I also add a red bell pepper with the green onions, water chestnuts, etc. It adds great flavor and a punch of color!