Saturday, January 31, 2009

Saturday Plans: Baking Bread

This little Star Wars Trooper has been giving lots of love to her little baby dolls all week. So cute.

OK...so today is the last day of January. Whew. That was a long month. We don't have many plans today, except for folding laundry, reading a book, and baking bread. Well, that's what I'll be doing anyway. Don't know about the husband. He gets antsy and wants to do some recreation outside.


But if anything will draw him back indoors, it is the smell of this bread baking. Mmmm. I got this recipe from Carolann, who got it from another friend of ours. She calls it Heavenly Whole Wheat Bread. Since I name my recipes after the person who gave them to me, I call it Carolann's Bread.


1 1/4 cups warm water
2 Tbsp sugar (I double the sugar...just cuz)
2 tsp yeast


Let that sit and bubble for 5 minutes. Then add...


4 Tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup potato flakes
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp of vital wheat gluten
1 cup white flour
2 cups wheat flour


Mix until well blended. Cover pan and let rise at least one hour. Remove from pan, form into a loaf and place in greased loaf pan. Let rise for about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Makes one loaf.


If you are making rolls, shape into about 12 balls, let rise 30 minutes, then bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

7 comments:

The Mitchells said...

Mmm, looks good. I can almost smell it.

The Girls' Mom said...

Looks Yummy, eats some for me ;)

Jen Sue Wild said...

I stink at makeing bread but I am always looking for a recipe that I wont flub up. I think I will give this one a try.

Stacey said...

This looks super yummy but I don't have any other that wheat gluten! :(

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

That recipe looks great! Can't wait to try it!

Jamie
www.oktxok.blogspot.com

Xazmin said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. I have been wanting to learn how to make bread and quit buying it at the store!

I'm Always Rite said...

okay, I usually save bread making for the nice guys that wrap it in bags and close it with a colored tie... or sometimes, if I'm feeling industrious, my bread machine, because otherewise it seems like so much work... But this is something I just might try... I'm copying and saving the recipe now. :)