Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Tastiest Broccoli Soup! Seriously.


I really mean it. This soup is so dang good. It's full of flavor! My kids absolutely love it. Of course, the Ciabbata bread that is toasted and loaded with ham and cheese make a great dipper, and Heath goes crazy every time I make this...because, as I mentioned, it is dang good. I found this recipe in a Rachael Ray Magazine last year.

Broccoli Soup

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
4 cups water
3 Potatoes, peeled and diced
1 bunch of Broccoli, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups Swiss Cheese, grated
1/2 cup heavy cream
1-2 cups ham, diced (I used leftover ham from Christmas that I had in my freezer)

In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and add onions. Stirring often, cook until onions are soft. Add diced potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and add your water. The potatoes should be covered with water. Bring to a boil and boil for about 7 minutes. Add in your chopped broccoli and ham. Stir. Cover pot with lid and simmer for another 7 minutes or so, until the potatoes and broccoli are cooked tender.

Now, get out your immersion blender. If you don't have one of these babies, I suggest you run out and get one. They are just about the best kitchen tool I can think of, and it's priced rather cheap. If you don't have one, then you can use your blender for the next step. Just be careful with the hot temperature of the soup!

Use your immersion blender to puree the soup, right in the soup pot, until it gets to the consistency you prefer. Or, scoop out your soup into your blender a little bit at a time, and blend until smooth.
After soup has been blended, add in your cheese and cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. This soup has a killer flavor!


Ham and Swiss Toasts

Slice one loaf into 1 inch slices. Lay across a baking pan. In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 2 cups of shredded Swiss Cheese and 2 cups ham, diced very small. Spread the mixture evenly over your bread slices and put under your broiler until brown and bubbly. In my oven, this took exactly 5 minutes, with the broiler already preheated. Serve along side the soup.

11 comments:

BrittanyLane said...

Sounds and looks amazing. I can't wait to try it! Thanks.

runningfan said...

Mmm...I might have to try this, even though I'm the only broccoli eater in the family!

Lola....L..O..L..A....lo--oh--luh! said...

MMMMmmmmm!! You're killing me! I'm on a diet.....drools.

annaka said...

YUMMY!

Stacey said...

Looks so yummy!!!!

LollyChops said...

Every single time I come here and see another one of your recipes I want to jump up and start cooking it right that very second.

Should I just go ahead and tape those ham and cheese toasts to my thighs? Cause they look KILLER!

Stacy said...

Wow, this soup sounds and looks delish!

Jessica said...

Hey Shaina! DOn't know if you remember me from Summerville. Found your blog through someone elses down here. Love it!

I'm Always Rite said...

Oh my heck! I am so totally making this! :)

Jones said...

I made this and it was AMAZING!!! thanks.

Jeff and Lori said...

So, I tried it! It was one of the few recipes I've followed almost exactly, complete with the ham and swiss toast. It was sooo yummy. Thanks for posting your recipes, I can't wait to try a few more :)