Friday, January 16, 2009

Winner of the Bracelet!

Congrats to my cousin-in-law Michelle Crockett! She won the drawing. Michelle, let me know what color/s you want your bracelt to be.
For anyone who is interested, Michelle's got a pretty sweet setup with her friends. She, and 4 other women, each have a night of the week that they cook for everyone in their dinner group (5 families). On that night, they take a meal to everyone. The other four nights, they get to sit and wait for dinner to be brought to them. On the weekends, they fend for themselves.

I think it's great if you can find 5 families of relatively the same size, to do this with. Usually, doubling, or in this case quadrupling, your recipe is cheaper than making 4 different meals. Plus, you get to taste each other's cooking and get more recipes! Maybe Michelle will post a comment about this, giving us more detail.

Again, Congrats to Michelle!

5 comments:

Trinette McCrary said...

I always love getting new recipes. Thanks for your recipe posts. I will look forward to your upcoming ones.

kdaygirl said...

Mel does this with a few groups up her way. You could call her and find out all about it too.

ronee said...

dinner groups are the VERY best!
xoxo
ronee

The Crockett's said...

YEA! I'm so excited! I would love either a black or brown bracelet - it's your choice! Thanks!

As far as the dinner group...(beware the long comment to follow!) Find 3 friends/families about your same size (and food tastes), invest in various size gladware containers, and decide on the days/rules. Actually, I share my dinner group with 3 other famlies (4 families total) and we each have either 3 or 4 kids. We cook Monday through Thursday (in case you go on a date on Friday nights or have other weekend plans). We each make a main dish (about a 9X9 pan or dish) and 1 side (rolls, salad, veggies, etc), making usually at least 24 servings (6+ per family, and I can split some servings between my kids). Our main goal is just enough for one meal but I often have leftovers for my hubby's lunch. We each drop off meals about 5:00 the day we cook.

It's been such a blessing! The groceries are cheaper buying in bulk, there is much more variety with other people cooking, and we eat out less when I'm too busy or tired to cook. It's like when the ward brings you meals after having a baby - everyday!

Sara said...

Thanks for leaving a comment! The job hunt as been going really poorly as of late--terrible timing. The house is up for sale, but no takers yet (and it's a steal too!). So, we're just winging it and hoping for the best--preferable sooner rather than later! I still visit your blog all the time--I just made the cranberry cookies the other day. YUM!