Thursday, February 19, 2009

{FREEZER} Meals

Going to do some major food shopping today. I haven't done any freezer meals since right before we moved from South Carolina. We have this great upright freezer in our garage, and it's completely empty except for two sticks of butter. So I want to fill it up.

One thing about freezer meals, is that it doesn't have to be a complete meal. It can simply be cooking up a pound of meat, seasoning it appropriately for the meal you want, and then freezing it. For example...taco meat. If it's already done and seasoned, it makes cooking your meal that much faster! It's so much easier to prepare these meals right after you shop, because the meat is thawed and ready to use. Just make sure you stock up on freezer-safe ziploc bags and heavy duty aluminum foil.

You can also make rolls, and freeze them before you would bake them. You can make desserts, and freeze them too!

So anyway...that's what I'm doing today. Shop and prep. Tomorrow: Freezer meals.

6 comments:

Lola....L..O..L..A....lo--oh--luh! said...

Now this is something I really need to work on. Meal time is Chaos every night.

Maybe I should try preparing a weekly menu first...then work my way to freezer meals?

Pam said...

Oh I so want to learn how to do this. I always worry about whether it will freeze well. Hope you give us some recipes!

TheTennesseeWilliams said...

Ok So I want you to email me and let me know some of your tried and true freezer meals, I have been starting to try to get a good stock up but need some good recipes to do it.

Colleen said...

It's like home made Dream Dinners! I am hoping for a garage deep freeze one of these days so I can get in on the joy that is freezer meal cooking!

I'm Always Rite said...

Inspirational! I have actually followed your good example with freezer meals... to some extent. I have been occasionally making double batches of whatever dinner I make and freezing half to be thawed and enjoyed at some later lazier time. :) In fact, I have a batch of your refried beans that I need to whip out of the freezer for dinner. Superman is so excited to try them. :)

PS Do you freeze your pre-baked rolls seperately on a pan and then bag them so they don't stick together? I should totally do that. ;)

Angie said...

I love using my freezer! I did a whole posting on it a couple of days ago :)