Monday, February 9, 2009

It Started Off As A Good Idea...


I found this chocolate brown suede material on a clearance rack a few months ago, and have been holding onto it so I could make the most adorable purse out of it. So on Saturday I got notion that I was more clever with the sewing machine than I really was, and set about making this purse. I took a few ideas from some of the other purses that I liked...tweaked some measurements.....added a few things....and came up with my own pattern for a purse.
Things I love about this purse: (1) The fabrics I chose. (2) The strips across the front and the adorable flower I made. (3) The fabrics I chose. (4) The three pockets lined on the inside, so my keys and cell phone and gum can all be in different pockets.
Things I hate about this purse: (1) As cute as it looks, it doesn't keep it's form. It bows down in the middle when filled with wallet, keys, etc. [yes..I used some fusible interfacing and it still is floppy.] (2) The edges of the purse, where it dips down to form a "U", stick out and drive me nuts. (3) I'll need to figure in a magnetic clasp or something to keep it closed.
So. It's back to the drawing board. Now...what to do about this lonely purse, whose only good quality is that it's pretty to look at hanging from a hook on my wall???

13 comments:

Ande said...

The purse is cute. The one that I made did the same thing. It needs stronger interfacing or something. I do love the colors though. :)

Colleen said...

I love that flower and the fabric strips too! Sorry it didn't come out as perfectly as you'd like, but it certainly looks great in the picture!

runningfan said...

Definitely adorable! Function trumps form in my book, though, which is why I also want a new purse!

Queen of Chaos said...

You send it to me, that's what you do! :)

The purse is WAY too cute! Good job.

Holmes Home said...

The purse is adorable and if I know you, you'll work until you figure out how to fix it so that you'll be satisfied with the outcome. You are so talented - can you zap some of that talent my way?

auntie said...

that's adorable! but of course there's nothing worse than a purse that has a mind of its own. *sigh*

maybe what would make you feel better is telling/showing us how you made that adorable flower for it? i'm not clever enough to look at the picture and figure it out for myself!!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Shaina ,
If it was me I would unpick it and I would add a fleece lining You can get it but the interfacing pillion sells a great iron on kind.
I would then iron it to the main purse. Then just put it back together.
Also did you put interfacing on the lining that helps as well.

All and all its a great design.

whirligigdaisy said...

I love it. Kudos to you anyway for trying, even if it isn't perfect. Too often, I don't try for fear I'll fail.

kdaygirl said...

Good Job sis.

Maynards said...

I LOVE the purse. It is so cute! If you are wondering what to do with it...HELLO..you have a friend sitting right here wishing she could make something even remotely close to that adorable.

The Mitchells said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, its a beautiful creation. You are a Crafty Goddess!!

Kortnie said...

Very cute bag! Someone else said it but I have to add -use fusible fleece and attach it to the wrong side of the lining. Then add interfacing to the other side. It works like a charm!

I'm Always Rite said...

It is adorable, but I know how the buckling under pressure must really annoy you. Have you figured out what to do with it yet?