Thursday, March 19, 2009

Living in a Sugar World

This is Kolby. He has a blast every morning playing with Georgie, before he gets to go to afternoon Kindergarten. He really does love school, but he could care less about doing schoolwork. Let me take you through his day; The reality of it, as well as what it would be like in his dream world.

7:30 am: Kolby wakes up and has dry cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. He doesn't want any milk interfering with his cereal, unless it's in a cup. Even better if it has the word "chocolate" in front of it. (Dream world: Kolby wakes up after sleeping in the living room and is handed scrambled eggs, muffins, cinnamon rolls and juice on a platter in front of the television so he can earn gold medals playing golf on the Wii all morning.)

8:12 am: Kolby says "Is it lunch time yet? I'm starving!" ...said repeatedly all morning long until I finally cave in around 10 am and give him a snack of crackers and orange slices. (Dream world: Kolby is given a never ending bowl of fruit snacks.)

11:30 am: Kolby comes in from playing Star Wars outside, where he has slashed sticks into pieces due to their inability to withstand his mad Light Saber skills, and has a melted cheese crustless sandwich with goldfish and craisins. (Dream World: Kolby sheds his Darth Vader costume on the ground with magnificence, spears his sandwich with his double ended light saber, trades it in for his "world famous nachos" that he makes himself, and finishes his lunch off with anything sweet he can get his hands on, and washes it all down with lemonade.)

Noon: Georgie and I walk Kolby to school if the weather is nice, and he skips the whole way, with his green hoodie sweatshirt put on, but not zipped up. (Dream World: Kolby zooms to school on his bicycle, and impresses the world with his super duper tricks and speed.)

3:30 pm: Kolby comes home from school with the other kids, drops his backpack and sweatshirt on the floor, and asks for hot chocolate to help warm himself up. Instead, he's given a more appropriate snack, like a slice of banana bread, and we get started on homework. He reads me a book. "Sam. Sam sat. Sam sat on Pam. Pam sat." I encourage him to bring me a book he hasn't already memorized, and we get working on writing out sight words. It's a struggle. Kolby could care less about doing any schoolwork. (Dream World: Kolby comes home to find me making cookies and treats for him. Anything filled with sugar! He gets to play outside all afternoon, and only comes inside to refuel.)

5:30 pm: Kolby eats dinner. Somedays it's begrudgingly. Other days, I'm the best "cooker" in the world and the dinner is the "bestest food ever!" It's a hit and miss. He eats his food, and asks "What's for dessert?" Nothing. (Dream World: Kolby is swimming in a pool of ice cream.)

7:00 pm: Bedtime. (Dream World: "Kolby, why don't you sleep in your jeans? Don't bother changing into pajamas. Oh, and why go to sleep at all? Let's just stay up all night eating jelly beans and popsicles, win more gold metals on the Wii, and wrestle with daddy.)

That's the life of Kolby. He lives for sugar, if you didn't already figure that out. The only way I can get him to do any schoolwork, is to offer him a starburst. If I do that, he'll read a book to perfection. It's all about finding that trigger that is individual to everyone. For Kolby, he'll do anything for sugar.

Now that I know what works for him, he's been doing better in his schoolwork. In fact, I had a parent/teacher conference today. Looks like Kolby is doing well enough that he will move on to 1st grade. That is good news. He's young for his class, and I thought another year would benefit him, but his teacher seems to think that with enough work throughout the summer, he will be good to go. I'm happy for him.

9 comments:

kdaygirl said...

I would do his homework for a starburst!

Reminds me of Sharon, who ate nothing but sugar when she was little. At least it seemed to me that kid always had some sort of candy.

Megan said...

So funny. My Mia is the same way at only 3 years old! Somedays I really hate homework too. I think why does the mom always have to do homework every night!!!

Shavonne said...

I am still struggling with that! But its nice being an adult now because you can have access to it so much easier if you want it!
Now instead of youth as an obstacle, you have guilt...

Jen Sue Wild said...

You can bribe me with suger any day!!
I am a tottal suger junkie.

runningfan said...

Getting insight on Kolby's life was fun! I think Tyler would enjoy living in Sugar World, too!

thereddeer said...

Looks like Kolby and I would get along really well, since I too am a sugar junkie :P - mmmmmm sugar...

Rebecca said...

I love sugar! I'm craving some more of those yummy chocolate chip cookies warm from the oven!

I'm Always Rite said...

I think Kolby and Little Man could live very happily in that dream world forever. To bad the evil moms must keep them grounded in reality. :)

dippyrooroo said...

Kolby is such a cool little guy! The part where 5 min after breakfast is done he's asking about lunch totally reminds me of my Griff! I can not keep that boy fed well enough to his liking no matter how often I feed him!