Friday, March 6, 2009

{{NOT}} Just Another Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe!


I know what you are thinking. "But I already have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe!" Well then, by all means, continue making your cookies. Who am I to tell you that mine is better? However, you might take the recommendation of all my friends that I've made these cookies for. It is, by far, my most requested recipe.
.
It all started way back when, during my first year of college. I had always thought that a chocolate chip cookie was kind of dry and not very impressive. I don't know how many times I made cookies growing up, but they were never anything special. So when I woke up one morning at college, after my roommates had a late-night baking session, and saw the kitchen counters lined with these perfectly amazing chocolate chip cookies, I didn't think twice about them...until I was given one to try.
.
Oh. My. Goodness.
.
Those cookies were fantastic! I copied the recipe immediately, and put on my card that they were from my roommates Rebecca and Megan Stringham, and I still have that recipe card today. The measurements and directions have long since been memorized, but I still treasure it.
.
These cookies are named "Original Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies". The name should have clued me in, but it wasn't until about 10 years later that I actually looked on the back of a Toll House chocolate chip bag and discovered something: There was my precious recipe in print! (only mine was doubled) So sometimes, those recipes you find on the packaging really ARE good. Give some of them a try. You might stumble upon something great.
.
Original Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
(otherwise titled: The most fantastic chocolate chip cookie ever!)
.
In your mixer, combine 2 cups of shortening, 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 2 tsp vanilla, and 1 tsp water. Then, beat in 4 eggs.
.
Add in 2 tsp of salt and 2 tsp of baking soda. Mix. Then add in 4 1/2 cups of flour. Mix in a bag of chocolate chips. (optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans) ((The dough will be soft and creamy. Don't add more flour. Really.)
.
Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
.
Ok, now here's where I get serious about the instructions. If you are using a pampered chef baking stone to cook these cookies (like I show in the picture), it might take an extra few minutes of cooking time for the first batch. The cookies should be just slightly light brown when you remove them from the oven, and whether or not you use the baking stone, LET THE COOKIES COOL DOWN 10 MINUTES BEFORE YOU REMOVE THEM FROM THE PAN! That is so important! If you try to remove them right away, they will fall apart into a mushy heap, and it won't be pretty.
.
If you forget my instructions, and remove them right away, and say "What was she thinking? These came off just fine" I'll let you know right now, that you overcooked the cookies, and that those cookies are going to be so hard and crumbly when they cool down; they won't taste good at all. Trust me on this. You want them BARELY light brown. Take those babies out and you'll have cookie perfection in a matter of minutes.
.
If you are like most of my friends, you'll prefer the cookie dough. When I make this recipe, because it makes a lot, I usually form the dough into cookie balls, line them on my big baking sheet, and freeze them for a few hours, until I can remove them from the pan and place them all in a double lined Ziploc bag. Whenever I want to make cookies, I just get out the selected amount, put them on my baking stone, and bake away. Or...I hand out the bags of cookie dough to friends, who usually eat them up before they even make it to the baking pan. It really is THE BEST cookie dough I've ever had, and before I ever made these, I was not a fan of cookie dough. These little chocolate chip blessings changed my life (and my hip size!).
.
So once again, if you still aren't convinced that this is the best recipe ever, then I would just suggest that you try them. I believe I'll change your mind. If you like mint chocolate chips, or peanut butter chips, or other combinations of goodness, then feel free to tweak the add-ins for this recipe. It's a great base recipe for whatever cookie catches your fancy.

8 comments:

Megan said...

That is soooo funny! I just made these the other day. I have tried many recipes but my hubby told me when I made them this time that these really are his all time favorite. And I like them baked about 7 min. They need to still look raw and only a tiny bit cooked on the edges when I take them out!! I just looked on the package of my chips and just like I thought. . . It's not exactly the same b/c many years ago they changed from using shortening to using butter. But everything else is the same. Toll House calls it America's best cookie recipe! It really is- but the trick is to not cook them all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

Megan said...

Oh And I am the Megan Stringham now Calaway that introduced to her to these cookies in my late night baking session.

shaina said...

yes you are!! love them so much.

Trinette McCrary said...

Yummy, and no I didn't make an apron!

Colleen said...

Tollhouse does do it right! The recipe on the back of the bag is the one I usually use, with a few personal tweaks. Yummers!

Rebecca said...

You know I actually read your post a few days ago but never had a chance to make a "rockin'" comment. But I couldn't stop thinking about it. Yes, these are the famous cookies that we made ALL the time but now I RARELY make them. Crazy, huh? Well I do still LOVE them so I made a batch yesteday and they were as delicious as ever. So why might you ask, don't I make them anymore? Well, my hubby seems to like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies better. I guess he thinks they are HEALTHY since they have oatmeal so it is ok to eat numerous amounts of them in one sitting. Anyway, we both love the new recipe that I make so I really should share it with you sometime. I also ball them up and stick them in the freezer so they can be enjoyed as dough or freshly baked at any time.

L said...

Yes we all love your recipes, I am looking forward to the recipe book for Christmas. And Dad loves your Chocolate chip cookie recipe of today.

I am so glad you learned the lesson of the "Salt", SOME is needed! What ever person or teacher told you that salt wasn't good for you sorely affected our Chocolate chip cookies enjoyment for years. Thank you Stringham sisters!

I'm Always Rite said...

Do you remember the episode of Friends where Monica tries to figure out Phoebe's grandmother's chocolate chip cookie recipe by tasting the last remaining existing cookie from the recipe??? And it turns out it was from a french relative named "Nestle' Tollhouse"? You crack me up... even when you're not exactly going for funny. Thanks! :)