Thursday, April 23, 2009

Beautiful Weather and Hidden Treasures!

It was a total blizzard the weekend that all my sisters were here. We had planned to go on a hike to Garden of the Gods, but the weather changed that. All but two of my sisters left on Sunday, so with the remaining two, we went on our delayed hike to GoG on Tuesday. It couldn't have been nicer weather. So beautiful.



My sister Shavonne showed us how to Letterbox. It's like following clues and looking for treasure. When you find the box that is hidden, it has a stamp in it and a little book. You are supposed to use the stamp to stamp your own book, showing the different letterboxes you've found, and then you stamp their book with your own stamp, and write down where you live. This shows whoever hid the box how many visitors they've had and where they have come from. It's pretty fun. The kids thought of it as looking for treasure. There are Letterboxes all around the world. You should check it out. I'm sure there are some in your area. Spend an afternoon and go Letterboxing.
Some of the boxes are hidden pretty well. This was the first little letterbox we found. It was in an altoid tin. But the clues led us right to it.

7 comments:

Colleen said...

I am glad you guys got your hike in. I did think of you and your fun visitors while the snow poured down last weekend! At least you guys had all your amazing crafting to keep you busy. I can't wait to see the results! Our neighbors told us about Letterboxing a little while back, but they didn't call it that, I am trying to remember what they called it.... It sounds like a fun way to make a hike even better! I know a lot of the Colo. hikes have them hidden!

Maynards said...

Letterboxing sounds pretty cool! Glad you got in a good hike. I think I know your sister that was at church on Sunday, the one with reddish hair. Did she go to BYU-I. If so...I have a REALLY funny story about an encounter Ben and I had with her. Oh my, it is a good one. I want to make sure it is actually her though.

Jen Sue Wild said...

Looks like you had a fun day!!
Too bad about the blizzard..

courtney said...

I wish we could have gone on the hike but it will be something to look forward to!

Amy said...

We used to do that when we lived in San Antonio. I should pull out our stamps and try to find some stuff here. The kids love it and it's a good family activity.

The Girls' Mom said...

I'm super-duper jealous!!!!!

I'm Always Rite said...

What a fun adventure! I looked, and there are quite a few letter boxes around here. I may have to take the Just Us Team on a mission. :) Thanks. :)