Friday, April 10, 2009

Planning Menus

I like to plan out my menus for about two weeks at a time, but at least 10 days or so. I find that the longer I go between store visits, the more I save money. If I go every week, my budget gets blown. (Especially if I send the husband to the store. Most of you know what I mean.)

So when I make up my menu, I put down our simple favorites first. These include Spaghetti, Meatloaf, and breakfast for dinner...like pancakes or something. These are very cheap meals for us, and the kids love them too.
Then I think about any meals that I can use ingredients for more than one purpose. For example, on meatloaf night, I pop in a few extra baked potatoes. I reserve these in the fridge (after I remove the pulp from the skin) and the next night, I make Baked Potato Soup. Cook once, use twice. The same thing goes for Ham. When I buy ham, I usually have enough leftover for a few meals, so if I make Ham and Potato Casserole one night, the next night I can use the ham in my Chinese Fried Rice, or I can add the ham to our Breakfast for Dinner night, etc.

Some meals I make automatically make a double portion, like my Floating Tacos or Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. I make it the night we want to eat it, and then instead of putting the leftovers in the fridge, I double bag it in a freezer-safe bag and pop it in the freezer, to be used another time.

Then there are the meals that if I make sure to buy an extra pound of meat, I can double the recipe easily, and put the extra meal in the freezer, or take it to a friend in need for them to have for their dinner.

Another thing that is important, since I try to go to the store as infrequently as possible, is that I make the meals that require fresh ingredients first. That way, the veggies don't spoil before I get a chance to use them. If I make a big batch of freezer meals right after I go to the store(which is the best time to do it because you have everything on hand and defrosted), I put them all in the freezer, then make new meals every night until my fresh ingredients run out. Then, I start using the freezer meals. Make sense?

This week, my meals include Spaghetti, Sausage Penne, Floating Tacos, Meatloaf, Baked Potato Soup, Strawberry Cream French Toast, and Shepherd's Pie. Next week, we are having Ceasar Salad Wraps, Pizza, Tacos, Philly Cheesesteaks, Ham and Potato Casserole, Parmesan Chicken, Stroganoff, Chinese Fried Rice and Chicken, Lasagna, Funeral Potatoes and pork.

I like to write down all the meals I've planned on the fridge, so I pick which one sounds good to me that day, and either get it out of the freezer, or make it fresh. I don't like being strapped down to a specific meal on a specific day.

Half of these meals I can partly prepare ahead of time, if not all the way. I can cook up all the meat for the pizza and tacos. I can dice up all the ham and divide it up. I can assemble the Parmesan chicken and freeze that, and I can make the funeral potatoes and the fried rice. So, I can do a lot ahead of time. As much as I like to cook, some afternoons are just too crazy to make the meals I want. So I save myself time (and dirty dishes) by doing it ahead of time.

Hope these tidbits helped you with your menu.

11 comments:

Maynards said...

This post actually helped me a lot. I do not like planning meals, because I just get frusterated, and I can never think of anything new or exciting. You gave me some great ideas, thanks!

Stacy said...

Shaina, these tips are great! I am already making out a menu for the next 2 weeks. Can I ask, what kinds of meals do you freeze? I haven't really gotten into the habit of freezing meals yet, so I am a freezer meal maker "virgin." I would love any guidance you could give. Thanks so much!

dippyrooroo said...

Very cool! I have never bee as good as you are at doing freezer meals, but your experience and advice has helped me at least get started doing it, and it has saved my sanity time and time again! THe one time that impressed my self the most, I had bought one of those costco tubs of cottage cheese and I knew I had to hurry and use it before it wet bad, so I made stuffed shells, 2 sour cream noodle bakes and three small lasagna's all at once! And since they all kind of use the same preparations it really wasn't hard or time consuming! And then I had nice meals while we were packing and moving. It was awesome! Never would have done it with out your example!

Dan and Katie said...

Oh my gosh! I am so impressed. Can you be my mentor? :)

runningfan said...

Tons of great ideas, now I'm all motivated...and stuck in bed! :) I'll file this away for later...

Thanks again for making my dinner tonight! It was the perfect night to have something hot and ready at 5:00.

Betsy said...

I shop and plan exactly like you do! I've never talked to anyone else who does it this way, but it's great. I only shop for one week, but I like your idea for shopping for two weeks. I find the less often I go to the store, the less money I spend (duh!!). I'm NOT good at combining, though, and matching up ingredients to make two or three meals. I'll have to give that a try. I'm really frustrated with how much gets thrown away just because we use have of it for one meal, and then I forget all about it in the fridge. I'm going shopping today, so you've given me a challenge! Thanks, Shaina!

Stacey said...

Great tid bits! I love to plan and use a lot of these same tactics. :)

thereddeer said...

thanks for the tips!

Amy said...

Can you post how you make strawberry cream french toast. That sounds yummy.

Rebecca said...

I also need to put some of these good ideas to use. I hate planning meals but maybe if I just sat down and wrote things down, it wouldn't be so bad. Seriously, I don't know how you get everything done. You must make good use of your time! Good job.

disa said...

成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風,伊莉,伊莉討論區,伊莉論壇,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,plus,痴漢論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性愛,性感影片,校園正妹牆,正妹,AV,AV女優,SEX,走光,a片,a片免費看,A漫,h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片