Saturday, May 9, 2009

I had three bowls of it. So what?

Yesterday, about 2:30 in the afternoon, I was hungry. I mean, I actually wanted to eat something! Afternoons have been my nauseous time, so I was pleasantly surprised that food sounded appealing. I decided just to make dinner a bit early.

By three o'clock, I was eating a big bowl of Baked Potato Soup. Ten minutes later, I had my second bowl. Then, I had another. I've always loved this soup. It comes together very quickly and it is so tasty. I've made this many times for friends that I have brought dinner to. It's always been a hit. So, give it a try.

Baked Potato Soup

About 3 cups of baked potato pulp. Depending on the size of your potatoes, this is approximately 3-5 baked potatoes. (I make meatloaf the night before, and just bake up some extra potatoes at the same time. After they have cooled, I spoon the pulp out and reserve it in a bowl in the fridge until the next night. )
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 onion, diced (or 1/2 cup chopped green onions)
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper
1/3 cup crumbled bacon
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheese

In a soup pot, add your potato pulp (nicely chopped so you don't have any big lumps), chicken broth, onion, celery, garlic, and salt and pepper. Bring to a soft boil for about 10 minutes. Add in bacon and milk and let simmer until it is heated through. Stir in sour cream and cheese. Serve.

I usually like green onions in this soup, but last night I didn't have any. I added half an onion with the potatoes, so they would cook through. If you do have green onions, you don't need to add the regular onion. Your choice. If adding the green onion, add it when you add the milk.

One thing I love about this soup, is that the celery stays firm. I hate soggy celery. It gives the soup a nice bite. Hope you like it.

5 comments:

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

I'm glad you are eating!!! Woo hoo for you!!!!

This recipe rocks! I can't wait to try it! Today is cool so it would be a perfect baked potato soup day!

I might have to make a run to the store to get the ingredients.

Take care and keep eating!!!

Naomi said...

Yum I think I will be making this one for sure.

Maynards said...

Yummy! That sounds really good, I will be making it soon.

I'm Always Rite said...

Sounds delicious! :) Adding it to my recipe folder now! Click! ;)

PS You'd be so proud. I've added some new recipes to our menu from my saved recipes folder and I think several of them may be yours... Heavenly Rice and Chicken Salad? That's up tonight! :)

Sara said...

Thanks, Shaina--this was dinner tonight! Awesomely delicious.