Friday, June 19, 2009

Deliverance!

Yesterday was a busy day for me, but I wanted to take the kids to the park again. We left at 10:30, and I packed the usual snacks for a two hour park date: a granola bar for each of the kids and a bottle of water.

As soon as we arrived, I started hearing the normal whining. "I'm hungry!" This is said with the most pathetic face they can come up with, and is accompanied by arms folded over their tummies, hunched over in anguish.

I remind them that they just got done with their late breakfast barely an hour ago. I think they can survive. Go play.

This continues for the next thirty minutes, with each of them complaining to me that they are close to death from being so hungry. I give them each a granola bar and tell them that is the only thing I brought for them to eat. We'll have lunch when we get home.

They rip into the granola bars like they've been fasting for 8 days, even though they grumble that they don't like those granola bars. Then, for the next hour, they continue to complain at how hungry they are, and even go so far as to try to manipulate food from the friends that came with us. I even caught Keaton standing over the blanket of a family we didn't know, who were enjoying their lunch. He was totally stalking their food!

I am so tired of needing to pack the pantry for an hour and a half worth of park play time! It's like a trigger inside them...as soon as we go somewhere to play, they can think of nothing else than eating. Yesterday was the last straw for me. I'm not even packing them a snack next time we go to the park. I don't think I can handle their grumbling anymore. We might not even make it to the park if they act the same way. I'm done!

On the way home, after a severe talking to, the kids were very quiet in the car. I was able to look at all the street names that we passed. One thing I love about living here is that there are such pretty and unique street names, like Tulip Tree, Buttermilk, Pleasant Lane, and Winding Hill Road. Among such treasures was this street name: Purgatory. How terrible! I think that would really deter me from buying a house on that street! Luckily, a few streets later, there came another interesting street name: Deliverance. Too bad they didn't intersect. Now that would be quite the unique street address.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

I can completely relate! What is it that makes hunger instantaneous the second you leave the house? I've tried not bringing snacks. It's good if you don't have friends with you, but if you do, and they have snacks, the begging just moves along to your friends. But maybe if a discussion was had before the park....

Jenny said...

I have found as the kids have gotten older their appetites have gotten larger. I have no problem with them eating every couple hours. We go through 8-10 bags of petite carrots, 10-12 cucumbers, and several cans of beans
(great for protein, rinse and pour in a bowl or baggy if going out- they snack on them uncooked), and other food items during the week, that are just considered "snack" items. The kids are 12,10, and 1. I myself, have at least 3 snacks a day. The kitchen has always been pretty open, except within about an hour of dinner being served. You won't find candy bars, fruit roll ups, chocolate chips or things like that in the kitchen though. They haven't really ever asked to have them purchased and Stan and I aren't into sweets.
I have just found that my kids need to eat quite often. In their schools they even have 1-2 snacks a day(even in middle school). Some of them are provided, and the other you are able to bring from home. They have stipulations on what you are allowed to bring which I also think is important. I appreciate the schools understanding this concept. It helps them with their concentration. They don't break for the snack, they snack while they work. Obviously you would want to gauge what type of snacks and the activity level of the kids. When I go to run errands or to the park I always have the kids grab their own snack. I have done this for about 4 years now. They know they are in charge of the snack they brouhgt. If they choose to eat it at the beginning then that is their choice, even though we may have and hour+ left of our outing. It didn't take long for them to figure out how to make it last the entire trip.

Jones said...

when we were house hunting we went to look at one on Gagman St, I just laughed that this'll probably be THE house. YUP, it was. So I live on Gagman St. Gag Me!

my kids start in with the hunger pains as soon as we get in the car! at least yours wait till the park, lol!

tara said...

Haha...I remember those streets. I used to work at East Library and drove by those streets on the way to work. And I always thought the same thing--why?!
Thanks for posting C/S pictures. I moved away a year ago (my dh is in the military) and I miss it dearly!

Adri said...

I think I've inadvertently trained my children to be 'hungry' the minute we hit the park because our on-the-go snacks are so much more appealing than the real food they get at home. Blast the convenience of pre-packaged snacks!

Heidi said...

I have several friends (ward members) who live on Purgatory...funny none of them live on Deliverance....