Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer Schedule

I've been asked to share our family's summer schedule with everyone. First off, it really helps if you plan the schedule with your kids. If they give you input, and decide with you, they are more likely to stick with it. So now, sit down with the kids and make a chart on a piece of paper that breaks up the day by the hour, and start filling it out.

First off, we put down some of the things we did once a week. These included (1) Library trip, (2) Park day, and (3) Play dates. Every Monday, we go to the Library. Every Wednesday morning we go to the park. Every Tuesday we try to have a play date with someone, either at our house or at their friend's house. Last summer, since we lived near the beach, we had a beach day, so put down whatever your family likes to do.

Secondly, everyday the kids have specific things they need to do. Everyday after breakfast, the kids are in charge of cleaning their rooms and then picking up on additional room in the house, like the family room or the bathroom. In addition to that, not relating to the schedule, each of the kids has a specific chore. Keaton waters the outside plants, Kamy takes the garbage out, etc. I put this down first thing in the morning, so I have a clean house for the day, and the kids know that if they take too long doing it, they won't get to do the next activity on the schedule.

Also, I have set aside a specific time everyday for reading. That includes me reading to the kids, as well as them reading by themselves, or me helping Kolby with his reading.

We also have an hour set aside for schoolwork/artwork. This helps keep the kids alert in their studies, writing, etc.

Now, I'll admit, that if activities come up that take us away from the schedule, or if I'm not feeling very well that day, the schedule gets forgotten for a time. Be flexible with it. I think that we have it mostly for the times the kids come to me and whine that they are bored or that they want to watch tv, but I want them to read. All I say is "What's on the schedule?" and they don't complain anymore.

I also have scheduled "play outside" time, as well as one hour of tv/movie/wii time a day.

So here is a quick breakdown of the schedule.

8-9am Get up, eat breakfast.
9-10am Clean up rooms and house. Get dressed, brush teeth and hair.
10-11am (Monday Library) (Tuesday Play date) (Wed Park) Other days are open to suggestion.
11-Noon Play outside or continue with prior hour's activities
Noon-1pm Lunch and clean up
1-2pm Reading Time
2-3pm TV/movie/wii time (in other words, rest time for me!)
3-4pm Schoolwork/Art
4-5pm Play outside

Hope you find something that works for you!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I love how organized you are--we definitely need to do a version of this to get us through the summer in one piece! (Luke's spent most of his summer break so far in his room.)

Shavonne said...

Wow, it's wierd that you only have one comment! I always wondered what your schedule was, thanks for sharing it! You are such a good example to me!

I'm Always Rite said...

Great tips. I'll have to put something together for us before we reach totally anarchy. :)