Monday, June 8, 2009

Today It's My Birthday!

I was born more than three decades earlier, in a little town in the midwest. I was the fourth child for my parents, who later went on to have six more kids after me. I secretly think it's because I was so amazing, they tried six more times to get another kid who was as fantastic as I was. (It's my story, ok?)
My mom loved me so much, she just couldn't bear to let go of me, even when I was having my picture taken.
I eventually made it out of my mom's arms, and grew up to be quite the child. I never did anything wrong. (well, there was one time I remember trying to hide under the kitchen table when I was supposed to be getting a spanking. My dad tried to grab me, and I slid over to the other side. It was a great game, of staying just out of reach from my dad and laughing everytime he tried to grab me. That is, until he caught me. Boy was he mad. I was turned over his knee and received spankings until I didn't think I could ever stop crying. I wasn't laughing anymore, I'll tell ya that.) I still don't remember what I did wrong that day, so we'll still say that I was the most angelic child. Everyone should learn by my example.

We use to play out on the swingset in our yard. Actually, it was a pole that was centered high in the air between two trees, with chains connected to it somehow so it could form swings. Later, we took the swings off and used it as our gymnast bar, twirling around and doing the most amazing backflips off of it. (I'm the one standing in the middle)

We were growing up on the ranch at this time, and this is a classic picture of me and my older brother Jamie, taking a little rest from running around, while waiting for the food to be served. Actually, I think we were in trouble, which is why we were sitting there. Again, I claim innocence. (You can see my Great Grandma in the blue shirt in the background, surrounded by dutch ovens. It was a good life, with good food.)

So goes the story of my first eight years of life. After that, I just got more incredible.

22 comments:

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday.....you've got some great memories! I miss being a kid!

Sharon said...

you are pretty fantastic, happy birthday!

kdaygirl said...

I think Kamyren looks like you in the pigtail picture.

I remember when you got in trouble and were running around the table, at first it was funny and then I was like STOP!!

That picture of you and Jamie is funny because he got in trouble for playing with matches and I think it was you that tattled on him. He got his butt beat for that and so he looks like he has been crying because he was.

Bobbi Jo said...

You are an incredible person and so glad to have met you in blogland. Have a wonderful Birthday! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Jen Sue Wild said...

Happy birthday friend!!

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

Happy Birthday Shaina!!!!

Heath said...

Happy Birthday Babe. Love ya.

Megan said...

Happy birthday! You totally crack me up! And that ranch life seems really rustic? Did you always cook in dutch ovens or was that a special occasion? I just got back from bringing treats into Morgan's class. I hope you have some yummy treats today too (I made indoor smores - the golden graham recipe for the class and an ice cream cake (chocolate peanut butter) for the family)

Holmes Home said...

Happy Birthday!

April said...

You are so cute. I hope you have a very wonderful day I believe you were a handful in an angelic way! ;)

Colleen said...

Happy Birthday my friend! You never said a word about it, I didn't even realize it! I love hearing the little stories from your past.

Julee said...

Happy Birthday! I loved the old pictures....

runningfan said...

Hope the day was happy, and that the husband delivered your gift!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday! You have the exact same b-day as my sister!!

Elise said...

Happy Birthday!! What a fun childhood!! Hope you had a great day!

KJ said...

A very Happy birthday to you sweet friend!! I hope you are spoilt rotten & get to indulge in something sweet & chocolaty (preferably that you never baked!!)

Hugs!!
XXX

Trinette McCrary said...

I'm happy you were born. I hope you had a great day.

Ande said...

Hope that you had a wonderful day!!!

Stacey said...

Happy belated birthday!!

annaka said...

You're so cute, that's how I remember you! Happy Birthday!
xo
a

courtney said...

Sorry Shaina, I totally meant to call and when I was in the car, I looked through my cell and realized I don't have your number in there, so, know that I was thinking about you and I hope you had a great birthday!

I'm Always Rite said...

Happy Day! I was road tripping and totally missed it. Bad me. (I was never the angelic child you were so this behavior is to be expected from me. ;) Drove through Charleston today and thought of you. Hope you had a groovy birthday and I wish you a smashing good year! :)