Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wanting Food!

I am hungry now! I've been going on hardly any food the last two or three months. Nothing ever sounded good, and cooked meat always made my stomach turn. Not that raw meat made my mouth water, more like the smell and idea of meat was revolting.

I survived on drinking cranberry juice, eating cashews, peanut butter crackers, fruit, and salad. I usually had scrambled eggs for breakfast, and although I could eat them, eggs aren't my total favorite.

But now things are different! I had THREE helpings of sausage penne last night (check on my sidebar for the link to the recipe. It's a keeper!) and the whole day yesterday, I was salivating over planning the rest of the week's menu. Tonight I'm making cube steak with country gravy and mashed potatoes. It was something that I grew up having at the ranch, cooked over dutch ovens, and it continued to be a family favorite in my house growing up. Actually, I'll make ranch potatoes. Even better.

By the way, when we had our ranch cookouts at the rec center, everything was cooked over the open fire, in dutch ovens. We all sat around the big fire pit on benches and logs. We'd play with cousins and ride huge rope swings, and have a fabulous time. Then we'd go back to our houses on the ranch. So we didn't live as primitive as the photo suggested in the other post. We played outside a lot, so we were always dirty, and we enjoyed cooking over the campfire.

Getting back to food, I'm a bit worried that my sudden appetite will hamper my plans to keep my weight gain to a low number. But I did get something last night that always helps to control my need to eat: crushed ice. I got five bags of ice from sonic, and I'm a happy girl. Mmmm. Today is going to be a good day.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

i bet the sonic people were like 5 BAGS! who is this lady?

Jana said...

I would eat shaved ice too when i was going through my prego years. My dr said it was because i was low on iron. I didn't care i just loved eatting it. When I was in labor, i would eat ice and drink all the cranberry juice they had.I am glad you can eat again. Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy.

Trinette McCrary said...

Yummy, I love ice from sonic. 5 bags-really? lol. I'm happy you have your appetite back. Happy baking and cooking.

The Brewers said...

We always go to Sonic for ice, too...the owner loves us tons and when he's there...we get an extra treat! And Dutch Oven cooking is a favorite at out house too! YUMMMMM!!!

Heidi said...

I heard that once too.. that chewing on crushed ice was a sign of anemia (low iron). But I always have low iron and never have the urge to chew ice. Hmm.. weird.

Colleen said...

I am glad your appetite is back! There is nothing worse than knowing you need to eat and not feeling like anything will taste good. Great 17 week photo too!

The Crockett's said...

I went through the strangest vegetarian phase with my last pregnancy (and I am a total carnivore)! I ordered fish(?!) at a steakhouse on valentines day! I ate SO much fruit and veggies and salad. It was weird! But, it kept my weight gain down to like 12 lbs total, which was great 'cause I started the pregnancy out heavy. Glad you're feeling better!