Wednesday, July 29, 2009

SALSA!

Have you ever made your own salsa? If you haven't, now is the time to try. If you live in an area where there is a great Farmer's Market, it will be so cheap to make yourself a year supply of salsa. If you have to buy your ingredients at a local supermarket, it will be less expensive in the summer, when there is an abundance of tomatoes and peppers.
My friend Suzanne gave me this recipe for Salsa. It is very good, and it gives you the option of making it as spicy as you want it. If you have a food processor, this will be a cinch to make. If you are cutting everything by hand, it's not going to be as fun. A blender will help, if you don't have a food processor.

8 qts of tomatoes (that is roughly 18 pounds, or 32 cups mulched up)
2 full heads of garlic (minced or chopped)
5 cups of onions, chopped (about 4 onions)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
8 TBSP salt
3 1/2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP MSG (Accent)
2 TBSP cumin

Use a food processor to chop tomatoes and onions. Leave them a bit chunky. Don't puree them. Combine everything above into a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for one hour. Meanwhile...

4-8 jalapeno peppers (I used 5 big jalapenos and included the seeds with 3 of them)
4 Anaheim peppers (I included the seeds)
4 green bell peppers
2 Serrano peppers
1 habanero pepper (this is the hottest, so treat with respect!)

Dice all the peppers, then combine them in the food processor. After the tomato mixture has simmered for an hour, add in all the peppers. Simmer and stir for an additional 20 minutes. Your house will smell fantastic!

(Feel free to add additional peppers. My salsa was mild, prepared with these instructions. Also, if you want to roast the peppers before you chop them up, you can. It will give you a roasted salsa flavor. You can also add cilantro. Make sure you wear latex gloves when handling all the peppers!)

Your salsa is done!! Taste it with some chips to see if you like it. Careful, it's hot! Now you are ready to can them.

During the hour that your salsa was simmering, prep your jars and lids in the dishwasher to get them hot and sterilized. Pour your salsa into your jars (using a funnel) almost to the top, making sure there is no salsa juice on the top ring. Screw on your lids. Leave the jars alone. Don't move them around. As the salsa cools, your jars will seal. Mark the date you made the salsa on the lid. If you happen to have one that doesn't seal, simply put it in the fridge and eat that one first. Makes 20-24 pints, or about 9 quarts.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I LOVE salsa!!! Thanks for the recipe! I have a whole garden of tomatoes waiting for me :)

Colleen said...

Yum! If only I could convince myself to pull out the canning stuff and actually go for it....

Jen Sue Wild said...

Yumm you can send some my way anytime you want.. LOL

Amy said...

My house smelled like salsa for 3 days!!! I definatley need to wear gloves next time. Big mistake. My hands burned longer than my house smelled!

Love Lorri said...

did you peel them first? I hope not! UggH!