Thursday, August 13, 2009

How to Freeze Food

If you want to start making freezer meals,there are a few things you should know. First off, it is important to get the right supplies. I buy disposable baking pans so that I don't use all of my dishes, and then not have any left when I am making a normal meal. Secondly, I buy freezer safe Ziploc bags and lots of aluminum foil. You want these meals as protected from freezer burn as possible.

Next, I research. There is a lot of info on how to freeze food if you look on the Internet. For example, you will discover that some foods freeze better than others. You don't want to put hot food right into the freezer. You also learn how to properly thaw your food before you bake it. I take out my freezer meal at least 24 hours before I want to eat it. 48 hours is even better. I put it in the fridge to thaw during that time, and when I am ready to bake it or cook it, it is perfectly thawed and ready to be cooked.

Many of the recipes I have posted along the right hand side of my blog can be used as freezer meals. If it can be frozen, I've added the instructions of what to do, in the post. Remember, freezer meal doesn't always mean casserole. I freeze many things, including soups, desserts, breads, and meat. Sometimes it is not a complete meal either. Sometimes it is just a few steps of preparation (marinating, cooking hamburger, breading chicken) that helps you on your way to getting your meal done faster.

If you have never tried making a freezer meal, you should do it. Start slowly. Don't overwhelm yourself with trying to do 20 meals in one day. Start with making a lasagna or something. Instead of making one, make two. Put one in the oven to cook for your evening meal, and wrap up the other in aluminum foil and put it in the freezer. Now you have a freezer meal! For the most part, my freezer meals do not get cooked before I freeze them. They are like a lasagna....assembled, but not baked yet. There are some exceptions to that, like my Floating Taco recipe (check the sidebar). I freeze that after I've cooked it.

Best thing to do is research. Find some recipes that sound good to you. Start making some. Easy as that.

4 comments:

Shavonne said...

You're so great with this, you should write a book! I know you've gottten alot of thoughts and other ideas for books started, and now's not the time. But, You should continue to do your recipe book you were planning and have a special freezer section :) Anyway, thanks for all the great advice! Wish I had my big freezer back in action!

Me and My Girls said...

I think that I will try this out. I have wanted to make freezer meals but did not know really where to start. I do freeze some things, but not meals. Anyways I agree with shavs, you should add a section in your cookbook on freezer meals.

Amy said...

Suzanne is teaching a cooking class on Tuesday and we are doing freezer meals. I am so excited.

Melvin said...

Freeze food ! it amazing...
Thanks for sharing...
___________________
Melvin
Apply now Nation wide cash