Wednesday, August 12, 2009

More Freezer Meals

I did some huge grocery shopping yesterday, and thanks to my dear friend Paula for watching my kids, I got to shop completely alone.

I had a lot of food to get because it had been since before our vacation in June that I had done any major shopping. Also, I've kind of lost a bit of my energy, since we found out about our baby, and I just want to make things simple on myself. You may think that making a ton of freezer meals all in one morning isn't really "simple", but it is. Compared with the time it takes to make dinner every night, the decisions about what to make, and all the added dirty dishes that accompany the preparation, it makes dinnertime extraordinarily simple. So compared with a few hours of labor it takes to make a dozen freezer meals, it is well worth it.

This time around, the freezer meals include lasagna, strogonoff, meatloaf, chicken taquitos, chicken pot pie, shepherd's pie, and nacho bake. I will be making two batches of each of these meals. It usually takes just a tiny bit more ingredients, to double a recipe. Plus, you can make it in the same amount of time as it takes to make one.

I also have some meals that I can prepare ahead of time for. This means that the complete meal isn't done, but that things are already prepared, so I can make it more quickly the night I want it. So I have a pork tenderloin that is already combined with the marinade, and in the freezer. I have cooked and seasoned the chicken for the Alfredo chicken pizza, as well as made the Alfredo sauce for it (surprisingly, it freezes great.). I have the hamburger seasoned and cooked for the hamburger mac and cheese, the ham cut up for the cauliflower casserole and the fried rice, the sausage browned and crumbled for the sausage penne, and the meatballs ready for the spaghetti.

Then I have some meals that I will make from scratch the night we want to make them, like my baked potato soup, grilled chicken and mashed potatoes, and meatball subs...because these meals come together in less than 20 minutes anyway.

Next up, tackling and organizing my basement. Anyone wanna join in the fun?

8 comments:

purejoy said...

wow on that. i'm exhausted. i need to do that but am afraid i'll get bogged down in the planning. i will tackle that obstacle soon. and i'll blog about it! there's a challenge, right?

runningfan said...

Missed you at the park today!

Ryan said...

I love your freezer meals. . . Do you remember the name of that book about freezer meals that April had? I know you do it all in your head but I need a little nudge. We are sending a little love your way in the mail--hope it gets to you soon. (This is Nicki)

Maynards said...

Holy Moly....I struggle enough just deciding on what we will have for dinner. You rock!

Stacey said...

WOW!! You are awesome!! I had every intention to make a ton of freezer meals before the baby arrives but here I am a week out and I haven't made ANY!!!!

Courtney said...

Wow!!! I have always wanted to do this but have never attempted it. If you ever have the time i would love to hear if you have any tricks that work great in planning and freezing. Or things that haven't worked good for you. I have a big freezer that sits mostly empty and it's such a waste. Good for you!!

Jen Sue Wild said...

I love to make frezzer meals They ar really helpfull on lazy days..

mamaduck said...

Is it pathetic that I don't know how to freeze meals? Like do you cook the whole thing first or just assemble? How long will they stay good in the freezer? What are the major no-nos?