Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reserved Parking??

Does this sign bug you? I mean, really? When you are cruising around the parking lot, lets say on an especially stormy day, really hoping to find a parking space close to the front of the store, and you finally see an open spot! You sigh with relief and speed up a little bit to get there before anyone else snags it. You start to turn your car into the spot. You stop. "Reserved! Expectant Mother Parking Only.

Do you comply, and grumpily find another spot a football length away from the store. Or...do you not care and park there anyway. After all, it's not enforceable. How are they to know whether you are expecting?

Well, if you are one of 5 male teenagers that get out of the vehicle, chances are, you are not expecting.

If you are a lady in a business suit, carrying a briefcase, and looking disgusted that she has to come in to Walmart on her lunch hour, chances are, you are not expecting.

If you are a Grandmother, chances are, you are not expecting.

If you park there, and 5 kids under the age of 5 jump out, and you grab an infant out of the carseat and look like you are ready to kill, chances are, you are not expecting.

If you are a middle aged man, alone in the car, and you come across me, in the parking spot right next to you, chances are, you will hear me say "Congratulations on your pregnancy!"

I got no reply.

10 comments:

purejoy said...

oh, grrrrr. i don't mind the sign, but it bugs me when people take advantage of something that is CLEARLY not meant for them. i think you handled the situation well, although sarcasm is often lost on the innately stupid, which this man most certainly is.
too bad there aren't any too dang lazy parking spots. there would be a line to get in 'em.

ModernMom said...

LOL The ones in our area say something like "Expectant Mothers or Caregivers with Young Children" Apparently many folks with babes under 16 think their little ones qualify as "young children". I refuse to park in those spots. I remember all too well the days of shopping between bouts of morning sickness and later hauling that baby carrier around. People taking up those spots that shouldn't be drive me NUTS!!

Jena said...

I read somewhere a long time ago about a man that pulled up to the library and parked in a handicapped parking spot (he didn't have the tags on the back of his car or the hang tag from the rear-view mirror), when he got out of the car, a lady politely asked him if he could read. I really liked that one.

Megan said...

That's hilarious! I sometimes wonder why stored even bother to put those signs up. But have enjoyed using them.

courtney said...

I ask my Dr. every time I am pregnant if I can have a handicap sticker or something during my pregnancy. I know, I may be lazy but more, I am just so worn out by the time I get in the store from parking a mile away. Plus, I especialy wanted one when I was at school because I would leave 30 minutes early in order to sit and wait for a close spot only to have some punk swoop in and take it when I was clearly waiting for that spot!

Candace said...

ROTFL! I wished I could have been there. That's a belly roll! LOL

Jones said...

LOL, awesome!! your remark to the expectant man I mean!

Rebecca said...

I enjoyed using those signs on more than one occasion...when I was legitimately prego. But yes, on more than one occasion, I've seen people use it that should not be! Whatever.

Trinette McCrary said...

Thanks for making me laugh!

I'm Always Rite said...

You rock!!! :)